36. Blood Offering

Finding a wooded area had not been easy. He'd had to leave the city and fly searchingly in the human realm for a place where nature was still allowed. Even then, finding trees old enough for his needs had proven a challenge. Ares stood now, in the woods, and winced at the distant sounds of a busy road with cars thundering down. The tree nymphs suffered much in these times, with no gods on earth to remind the humans why they mattered.

The War God stood beneath the oldest tree and solemnly delivered his offering. He poured pigs blood over the tree's dark roots and lit an incense candle. The thick, scented smoke rose up the bark and wafted between the tree's crinkled leaves.

"Meliae," Ares addressed the spirits. "I make this offering and ask for you guidance."

A breeze rustled through the branches, carrying with it the gentle sound of a laughing maiden. Ares heaved a sigh of relief. "I'm looking for a demon named Lamia."

The tree's branches creaked and swayed. Ares closed his eyes and placed his palm against the tree's rough bark. An image flashed across his mind. Lamia.

Ares opened his eyes. He'd only had a flash of the demon in her lair. But it was enough. Lamia hadn't retreated far.

                     Ares sat with Jaz in the café, sipping tea.

"Do you need my help?" Jaz offered, after hearing Ares' plan. "Demons are tricky creatures."

"Lamia's magic is tied to the moon. If I wait until it's waning then she won't have such an advantage."

Jaz nodded, impressed. He'd half-expected the war god to storm into battle blindly. But Ares was better at strategy than legend suggested.

"She might be taken by surprise by you. Unless she already knows that you're back."

"Hmm..." Ares' expression was thoughtful. But his mind had drifted from Lamia and was on a question that Ares wanted to ask the café owner. Jaz had been by Sage's side for all the months he'd been gone, surely he would know the answer...

"Whilst I was gone, did Sage and Ezekiel ever..." Ares' voice trailed.

"Ever?" Jaz stared at him blankly. Ares huffed.

"I mean... I wasn't here... It's no big deal... they were free to do... that."

Jaz choked on his tea. Finally guessing what Ares was talking about.

"You want to know if they slept together?"

Ares' eyes glowed hotly. He nodded. Jaz shrugged. "I've no idea."

Ares' grip tightened around the mug he was holding.

"Oh."

It was fine if they had, Ares told himself grimly. As long as Sage chose to be with him now – he'd never mention anything of the past. 

But even as he tried to soothe himself, jealousy writhed like a snake in his stomach. Ares drank the last of his tea and set the mug down on the table.

"I have to go." He excused himself.

Jaz nodded.

"See you tomorrow." He waved. Ares said nothing as he silently left the café.