CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Carly started to blink awake, with an unfamiliar smell hitting her

Carly started to blink awake, with an unfamiliar smell hitting her. She felt sheets beneath her back, nothing like the bathtub she was in before. She glanced around the room and noticed she was in a hospital room. She turned to her left where she saw her sister sleeping in a chair, beside her. Carly decided to let her sleep on and not say anything. She needed silence. To think. 

She couldn't remember anything other than being in a bathtub and suddenly falling into her life again. She felt sad but couldn't remember why. She wanted Noelle on the other side of her and wondered why she wasn't there. She glanced at her left shoulder, the name was fading. Suddenly, she started remembering what happened before the bathtub. She couldn't help the tears streaming down her face. She wiped them away. Was Noelle dead?

The door to her room was opening and Rowan started to blink awake. Rowan looked at the door and somebody walked in. Carly wanted it to be Noelle, so badly. But it was only Breanne. 

Rowan looked at Breanne and then Carly. "Finally, you're awake."

Carly rubbed her eyes and looked at Rowan, "You were just sleeping," She said and rests her hands on her sides. 

Rowan rolled her eyes and slumped in her chair. "I was really worried y'know..." She admitted and looked off to the side. Carly didn't answer, just looked at her. 

Breanne cleared her throat and started walking towards the bed. Carly almost forgot she was even there. "I have something I think you want to see," Breanne dropped an envelope into Carly's lap and Carly started to examine it, confused. 

Then, her eyes widened and she saw the back of the envelope. Rowan and Breanne both shuffled out of the room and closed the door behind them. 

To: Carly Rosales
From: Noelle Morrison

Carly immediately opened it to read it, anything that gave her closure to all of this. This had to mean Noelle was alive and well, maybe it would state the reason she wasn't present in the hospital room. Carly unfolded the letter and started at the top...

Dear Carly, my soulmate.

If you're reading this that means I've successfully given it to Breanne and she was able to get to the hospital. It also means that I am very, very far away. You see, the thing Aidan was trying to do worked in his favor. Since I was the second person to the process, I had to cut myself in order to complete it and let you live. If I just let you get all cut up and then save myself, you would've died. So you see, I had to. And part of the process is that every fiber in my being wants to kill you. So the only thing I can do is run away. You have to understand, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed you or even tried to. So for now, for the next 10 years, we have to stay away from each other. It'll fade one day, but so will our memories of each other. You'll know you had a soulmate and know everything that happened but you won't remember my name or face. There's nothing you can do to fix it. 

I want you to keep the rings we had on and don't forget where they came from. That is the most important thing and the key to my plan. Okay?

I'm so sorry it had to be like this. I wish we could've kissed, just one more time. I wish we could've avoided all this. I wish I kept you away so you didn't have to go through all of this. The pain and suffering that came from being with me is something you didn't deserve and I'm so so sorry. 

I hate all of this. I hate how one guy can ruin everything. I hate how I let him control me. I hate how he was able to cut you so easily. I hate how you even got cut in the first place. I hate how I left you in my bathtub, alone, leaving you to almost die. I hate how we are hours away from each other. I hate how everything inside me wants to catch a flight and go to you only to kill you and make everything stop. I hate how I'm going to forget your gorgeous face and the way you felt in my arms. I hate how Aidan won. I hate how I never got to meet your sister like you said I was going to. I hate how we couldn't go to prom together. I hate how I couldn't have been with you, just a little longer. 

But I miss you so much and I don't regret loving you the way I did. You are the best thing to happen to me Carly, you're beautiful and a total cutie even if you refuse to admit it. I loved the way you'd get all shy when I showed affection and the way you made my heart race when you touched me. I loved how you lit up the whole room anywhere you were and how you would see me wearing sweats and a sweater. I loved how our outfits contrasted each other and how perfectly we fit in each other's arms. I love how you always tried to take charge and make me feel special. I loved how you loved skating and wanted to show me how to do it and showed interest in the things I cared about. I love how you always did the perfect thing in the moment and how we could talk for hours on end and you could listen to me complain about my period. I love how much you cared for the little things and got mad when I said anything bad about myself. I love how you could never sit in a chair the right way and you were always fiddling with things and you were super jumpy. I love how you always smiled around me and nobody else. I love how your lips felt the first, second, third and every time I kissed  you. I love how your hair felt on my hand. I love how you kissed my wrist any time you could. I love how your name looks on my wrist. I love how you said I was yours. And most of all, I love how much you loved me. 

I know someday we will meet again and all my feelings and memories will come flooding back and I won't want to hurt you in any way. Until then, this is goodbye. 

I love you,

Noelle Morrison <3

And there was her name. Her name, written in cursive.

1140 words