Chapter 5

Ari spent Saturday morning strolling in the park and shopping for basic groceries for the week. Once back home, she showered, dried her hair, and put on makeup. She wore very little cosmetics to work, but applied eyeshadow and eyeliner to suit the outfit she'd planned to wear. In her closet, between her work wear and casual clothes, hung three dresses: a knee length daytime dress, a midi length cocktail dress, and a full length evening dress. If it were up to her she wouldn't have purchased any of them, but they were necessitated by her job.

By nature, accounting isn't particularly glamorous, but FM Accountancy Group was an exception to the rule. Ari's bosses and clients extended an occasional invite to a business related dinner or cocktail party. She chose the midi to wear to a cocktail "hour" held at the home of Maxwell Carrington the Third.

"Ari, so glad you're here." Mrs. Carrington placed a kiss in the air beside Ari's cheek when she arrived at their large, open-concept apartment. "You look... the same as always. I was just talking about you, let me make some introductions." Mr. and Mrs. Carrington both adored Ari because she had the nerve to stand up to their children which they both lacked.

Many of Ari's clients lacked backbone when it came to their offspring. Usually their intention started out to make their kids happy by providing them with material things and a make-believe world. Sometimes it was guilt for their absence or a comparison trap. The problem was that without boundaries and responsibilities from a young age, the happy, carefree kids became entitled and self-indulgent. By the time that happened, the lax parents were afraid constraints would drive their children away instead of straightening them up. Using Ari as a proxy seemed to preserve family ties while reigning in some of the less desirable aspects of the heir's personalities.

Already present at the gathering, Meyer stood at the back corner of the room, watching as the elder Mr. Carrington took over ushering Ari around the room with Maxwell the Fourth in tow. He almost didn't recognize her in the navy blue dress since he'd come to the conclusion she only wore loose, pastel-hued clothes. Not only was this dress dark in color, it was somewhat fitted on top, though the skirt was fuller due to the four box pleats that started at about her hip bone. He watched as she put a hand into one of the pleats, pulled out a silver case and handed a business card to the woman she'd just been introduced to.

The hem of the skirt portion fell mid-calf exposing as much of her legs as she ever showed. He noted that she wore flats and wondered if her ankles could support her frame if she wore heels. His eyes wandered to her wrists to compare the joints.

They look like they might snap if she lifts anything heavy.

The dress she wore had three quarter sleeves but he'd only seen her in long sleeves before. These were lace, not solid, and he could see her skin under the delicate threadwork. He was watching the fabric shifting over her arms as she moved when he felt a hand on his own bicep.

"I thought I'd lost you for a minute Meyer," Gemma Carrington said coolly into his ear.

"You know your brother would have my head, or worse, if he knew about us. Family gatherings are out of bounds for you and I," he said nonchalantly over his shoulder.

"I know, I know," she replied, sounding glum. "That older brother of mine is the reason I'm still single at thirty five. Anyway, I've just come back from Italy and I brought you a little present. Come find me in the guest room in exactly thirty minutes." She tapped a manicured nail on the face of his watch.

Meyer went back to studying Ari as she confidently spoke with a number of different people. She smiled and laughed politely, looking them in the eyes and not down at her feet. He saw the younger Carrington break away and head straight to one of the refreshment stands and pick up a glass of wine. Meyer always appreciated the Carrington's taste in wine.