Chapter 20

"I was so disappointed that you couldn't be my date for the gala last night Meyer," a woman in her early forties was saying over a plate of French toast in the morning room of the Sommerset Country Club.

"You should have attended the bachelor auction last fall Cathy." Meyer had a hint of flirtation in his demeanor. 

"If I'd have known I'd be divorced by now, I would have," she sighed as she pushed her breakfast around the plate.

Cathy was one of Meyer's socialite connections. Like several of such women that Meyer befriended, she was a third generation heiress, born into the last generation of the ultra wealthy in which old gender roles still dominated. These women, like their mothers before them, were expected to keep up the appearances of affluence, leisure, and philanthropy. However, the ones who were skilled enough, waged a silent protest by gaining a great deal of hidden influence. That was what Meyer needed them for.

Wearing the designer golf togs that she needed for her tee time, Cathy continued. "But I'm glad you didn't cancel our brunch date. It feels like a special privilege on this particular morning. I hope it means that last night didn't change anything between."

"You didn't let your marriage stop you from pursuing me, why would last night change anything? It was about business connections and a fleeting moment of fun."

"Really?" Cathy seemed confused by his response, but Meyer didn't care to inquire about that; he just nodded.

"Well, hearing it straight from you makes me happy. As your reward I'll give you the gift I bought. I thought about not giving it to you after I saw you celebrating with Hilly." She slid a small box tied with a bow over to him. "It has been one year since we met at last year's gala. This is our anniversary gift."

In the package was a watch that Meyer recognized as a limited edition. He didn't typically keep up with fashion news like that, but was already familiar with this particular item. Cathy's best friend and biggest social rival, Sheila, had told him about it when she gifted him the same watch a few weeks prior.

"Thank you, Cathy, it suits me."

"The last time I gave you a watch, you told me that they gave you a hard time about servicing it without a receipt, so I've tucked it in the bottom. Let's put it on." She grabbed his wrist to undo the band on the watch he was already wearing, but instead of turning the buckle towards her, she turned the face. "Goodness! Is that the time? I'm supposed to tee off in ten minutes." She picked up her phone and tapped the screen. "They're going to kill me if I make us miss it. Meyer Dear, happy anniversary. Call me soon!" She air kissed both of his cheeks before dashing off while talking to one of her golf foursome.

Lifting the velvet covered support insert from the case, he checked the receipt. The rumors were that she'd done well in the divorce and this thirty eight thousand dollar watch to commemorate an anniversary that amounted to a few meals in high visibility restaurants proved them to be true. Meyer smiled in a way that revealed the disdain he felt for the woman. 

He finished his meal of an omelette and vegetables as he planned exactly what he would do with the watch. The valet delivered his Maserati and Meyer went straight back to the city. Hilly had been calling him all morning, but her calls had been redirected to another line, which no one answered.

Once he reached the city, Meyer went to his preferred jewelry store. Walking slowly as he perused the cases, he formulated the specific details of his plan. As directed, the attendant laid out a series of gold and platinum items. Some were plain, others featured gemstones like opals, sapphires, and emeralds. Consulting his calendar, he made a list for himself and gave a series of instructions for the items he purchased. Leaving all but one unwrapped jewelry case in the care of the store, he left to go to the next location on his agenda.