Chapter 37

When Meyer concocted his plan to extricate Ari from his life and mind by fucking her as often as possible over the weekend, he'd planned to skip his normal routines. He was going to use every available moment to build up an immunity to his lust for her. His irrational outburst made him realize that he couldn't create emotional distance from her with the disinterest via overexposure method. He needed to put physical distance between them instead.

He had to get away from her as quickly as he could, but had nowhere particular to go. He figured showing up at the athletic club like any other Saturday, was as good of a plan as any. He could try to work off all the dark, resentful energy he felt flowing through him. The problem was that unlike last week, he wasn't feeling an invigorating righteous anger. This week, he was full of frustration, self-reproval and guilt. The anger that resulted from those emotions was a consuming outrage. His performance during the weekly soccer game reflected that. His play was aggressive far beyond what was allowable.

The shrill sound of the referee's whistle cut through the muggy afternoon air. "Meyer," the stocky man held a red card in his hand, "you've been fouling against the other players this whole time. If this were a regulation game, you'd have been ejected in the first thirty minutes."

Meyer didn't say anything in return. He was angry, but he knew the ref was right, so it was better to stay quiet.

"We're shorthanded today Steve," Mike said as he walked over to the referee. "There were only eight of us to make the two teams. If Meyer is out, then we'll have to stop the game."

Steve looked around at the other players who nodded their heads.

"If that's what everyone wants, I won't push it."

"Thanks," Mike patted Steve's upper arm. "Stop playing like an asshole!" he yelled towards Meyer.

The others joined in on chewing Meyer out as they set up to continue the game.

Afterwards, when the men were headed across the street to the athletic club, Meyer tried shaking his arms and legs to get rid of his negative energy. It wasn't working.

"Anyone want to join me in the ring for a few rounds?"

The group exchanged knowing looks. They knew better than to get in an altercation with Meyer when he was pissed off. Even a regulated fight like a boxing match was too risky.

"I will," Mateo spoke up and shot Meyer a cocky look. He liked going against Meyer in a bout. He especially liked it when he could goad an angry Meyer.

Mateo entered the ring first while Meyer was getting help with the gloves. He planned his strategy, trying to think of what trash talk would be most effective. He started in just seconds after he and Meyer tapped gloves to start the fight. "What's got you acting like a little bitch today?" he spoke around his mouth guard.

Meyer swung first, his glove made contact with Mateo's ribs.

"Has Sebby got girl problems?" Mateo hated the nickname "Matty," but not nearly as much as Meyer hated being called "Sebby." Using it had the effect Mateo hoped for. Meyer paused for a fraction of a second and Mateo made use of the time to land a punch of his own. "Is this the first time my little bitch has been rejected?" He continued mouthing off, using his trash talk to distract Meyer. "Need some dating tips from your big brother?"

The more distracted and worked up Meyer was, the easier it was for Mateo to land a punch. Any trash talk would do in that situation, but the most effective comments were the ones that poked at a sore spot. He was a little off the mark thinking it was a frustrated pursuit of a woman, but his comments still did the trick. When both of them were finally physically exhausted, Mateo claimed the win.