14| The Exchange Program

"Given our recent influx of monsters, the Sheriff and I have decided we need to take drastic action

"Given our recent influx of monsters, the Sheriff and I have decided we need to take drastic action. Please give him your full attention."

Alex had luckily managed to grab a seat next to Josie for the assembly. She had fallen asleep late the previous night and was scrambling out of bed to make it on time to the morning assembly. She was not on time, and rather extremely late.

"Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night. Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha," the Sheriff spoke grimly as a photo of the two girls were passed among the students.

Alex managed to take a glimpse at the photos are they were passed around but she was too preoccupied with trying to rub the sleepiness from her eyes.

"Thank you, Sheriff Donovan. Now while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end, it won't hurt to assume the worst.

Alex began to zone out. Her arms were crossed as the thought of sleep suddenly became very appealing to her. But she was rudely interrupted as Josie had nudged her quite hard.

"Please don't fall asleep... we're literally at the front," she whispered to the girl.

Alex sighed quietly and sat up straight to not drift off again.

"Now I'll need a few of you to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools, which unfortunately, is necessary given recent events. Now I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials for locator spells, because any information we can get will make all the difference."

Lizzie interrupted and the students in the hall eyed the girl as she stood up to walk in front of the podium.

"Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day, because that is what heroes do," she spoke with great confidence and seemingly great humility and turned to her dad. "So... I volunteer as tribute," she finished and sat back down in her seat.

There was a moment of silence among all the students. Some had a bored expression on their face, clearly uninterested in human matters while others whispered to their friends about topics that were completely unrelated to the missing townies.

"I'm in," Kaleb voiced from across the room as he stood up.

"I'm in too," MG followed hastily, immediately standing up from his seat.

Everyone turned to look at the two vampires who had come forward.

"I'd like to help," Hope volunteered after and Dr. Saltzman's stoic expression turned to one of slight surprise as his eyebrow quirked up slightly.

The students offered to help while Josie and Alex shared a look as neither had made a move to help out.

The assembly was later dismissed soon after, having been informed that the bus to Mystic Falls High would leave in about an hour. The students had all dispersed out of the Grand Hall, those who didn't volunteer resumed their normal daily routine within the school walls. Alex was among them, leaving the hall while Hope trailed behind.

"How come you didn't volunteer?" the tribrid asked, now walking side by side with the werewolf.

"I don't know how a werewolf with no ability to compel or perform spells will help you guys," she laughed awkwardly. "Kind of pointless for me to go."

"Well, you can help with the gathering of materials for said locator spells. You know how normal schools function," she suggested.

Alex slowed her pace and gave her a questioning look, wanting to know the real reason she was so adamant about her going.

Hope felt her questioning gaze. "I've never been to a normal school before, but you have. And plus, did you mention before that your brother goes there now?"

"Yeah, he's a freshman now. Why do you ask?" she answered as she stopped in front of her room.

With no morning classes, Alex was going to make use of her time and catch a few more hours of much needed sleep.

Hope leaned against the wall next to the door. "Well since he's there, he might know some things about Dana," Hope thought. "If you don't want to go, I won't force you. Just thought that he might have some useful information that could help," she reassured quickly.

Alex narrowed her eyes at the girl and took a moment to consider.

"Sure, I'll come with."