44| Prodigal Returned

For the next two days, things were relatively quiet for the Salvatore School, despite their Malivore problem. In that time, Alexandria had steered clear of the Salvatore School. She didn't feel ready to face her friends and she felt like a coward. But Alexandria knew that she could only hide for so much longer. Sooner or later, they would figure out that she was no longer holed up in the Lockwood Cellar.

But as she stood outside the doors of the Salvatore School, she hesitated. Seeing the wooden doors in front of her, just within arms reach, she paused and wondered if it was a good idea. She hadn't told anyone that she was coming and specifically asked Hope and MG to hold off on telling the others that her humanity was back.

The Sinclair knew that it wasn't exactly wise to show up unannounced. No doubt that people wouldn't be happy and would jump to conclusions. But in fact, she was counting on it. Hence why she hadn't even told Hope what she was doing, knowing that she would berate her and tell her it was a stupid idea. While Alexandria had told the girl it was because she wanted to tell them on her own, part of her thought that she would deserve whatever magic they would throw at her when they saw her.

Alexandria started to fidget with her hands. Rubbing her palms and cracking her knuckles. Alexandria felt the anxiety well up in her chest and spread to her head, to her fingertips and down her legs as she stared at the door.

After a moment, she finally mustered up the courage and started walking closer to the entrance. Opening the doors, she was met with several students walking by and minding their own business. Laughing or chatting with their friends as they went off to their classes. Others with their heads down in a book.

Some gazes drifted over to the hybrid and their eyes immediately widened recognising the individual. Whispers and quiet gossip erupted in small conversations seeing that the runaway student had finally returned.

Alexandria felt small under their curious eyes but kept her focus forward as she pushed through the students to make her way to the lounge room.

As she entered the lounge room, she saw that it was practically empty, except for two individuals. Her eyes locked onto the familiar blonde and brunette duo off in the corner. Josie had her back turned towards her as she sat on the couch reading a book. Lizzie, on the other hand, sat across from her sister. They seemed to be in deep conversation but Lizzie stopped as she saw Alexandria in the corner of her eye.

Lizzie raised her head and stared at the hybrid wide-eyed. She wasn't sure if she was supposed to feel relief or fear as Alexandria shot her a small, awkward smile. Noticing her sister's sudden silence, Josie diverted her attention, seeing her stun locked, looking to something behind her. Josie moved in her spot to see what Lizzie was looking at.

Josie had a similar reaction to her sister and was left speechless as she saw Alexandria standing across the room. The last time she saw the hybrid, she was chained up, battered and bruised. But there she stood, healed and cleaned. It made her wonder how long it had been since she had gotten out of the cellar.