24| The Stuff of Legends and Nightmares

"I'm a bit lost. Why isn't it a Night Hag?" Alexandria asked before either Hope or Landon could continue explaining their current predicament.

Only a few remained at the school due to the evacuation, and even less so those who were willing to fight their latest monster. So, in the boarding house's longue room, Alexandria, MG, Kaleb and Rafael had gathered together at the request of Hope and Landon.

"In Dr. Saltzman's books, it says that the Night Hag can only interact with us through our nightmares. But like you and a few others have discovered, whatever happens in the dream, happens to you in real life. We figured out that the Oneiroi is disguising itself as a Night Hag to throw us off," Hope explained from her spot next to Landon who leaned against the armrest of the sofa

"Right..." Alexandria's voice trailed off, sinking further back in her seat.

Kaleb adjusted his stance from his spot behind Alexandria. He couldn't believe his ears and had to ask, "Wait, go back, a black winged what?"

"Shapeshifting dream demon," Hope and Landon answered in sync.

The Night Hag was one thing, but now knowing it was only a disguise, made Alexandria and the others grow weary.

Seeing the stunned and discouraged faces of the group, Hope added on, "I know that sounds bad, but now that we know what the creature is, we can fight it."

"How the hell are we supposed to kill a dream demon?" Rafael questioned, leaning over with his elbows on his knees.

"Leave that part to me," Hope answered directly and turned to the rest of the group. "But since I can't fall asleep without compromising the location of the urn... I need someone else to pull it out of the dream plane and into our waking reality," she revealed her plan and the group caught on to their role.

"So, Freddy Krueger. Like I said," MG said matter-of-factly, proud that he was able to make the connection and Kaleb shook his head at his fellow vampire.

"Wait, how the hell are we supposed to do that?" Rafael asked and Hope had to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

"If it's anything like the movies, we just grab and pull," MG answered for Hope, sitting up and looking at the rest of the group.

"Oh, so quite literally 'pull it into our waking reality'," Alexandria commented.

Hearing MG's interpretation, Kaleb became reluctant to involve himself in Hope's plan. "Yeah, okay. Is it too late to get on the uh– evacuation bus?" Kaleb asked Hope, pointing towards the door.

"No," Hope replied, shaking her head which surprised Kaleb. "I mean, I'm not gonna ask all of you to stay for this, it has to be your choice," she said plainly as she shrugged her shoulders.

The group exchanged looks, waiting for someone else to speak first, to which Landon did. "I'm not leaving," Landon claimed as he stood up straight, not missing how Hope had yet to make eye contact with him, keeping her focus on the people in front of her rather than the person next to her.