⭒1⭒

Introduction:

1 years ago

Everything was going terrible.

Exams were right around the corner and all I could think about was whether NASA had released actual footage of angels speaking in space. I mean it is possible with now a days technology and what not. Learning about cells and gene inheritance was a bore, but nothing could be done. Being a straight A student had it's perks, and also the not so clever moments, when you didn't know how to speak to anyone because of your introverted geeky personality.

Suddenly a knock alerted my space thoughts.

" Laila mum burned the roast chicken again come down"  Nadir screamed even though he was a total of less than 4 feet away from me. My fists could only handle so much pressure before it landed on his mischievous grin. I mean what is it with asian families and screaming so much.

At this point counting down from 10 was not an option either especially when I wanted to see what the commotion was all about.

Sighing in futile, my books were long forgotten and instead what lay in the kitchen corrupted my brain. You see, my mum was a great cook, but everyone had their downfall, and that was my mum's forgetfulness. Similarly to how Macbeth's downfall was his hamartia. Mum had forgotten so much in her life, which lead me to wonder as a kid whether she knew I was her only daughter. Forget that did she even know my birth date? I don't think so.

Way before I got into the kitchen, I was pleasantly greeted by the smell of burnt chicken and charcoal-y potatoes. Delicious. I thought. Dinner will sure fill me up for my revision tonight. Looks like I'd have to survive on noodles. Again.

"Mama, why do you always burn the food?" Mum looked up with a frown, flinging her oven gloves over her shoulder.

"Don't just stand there girl, help me out" it was my turn to frown. I didn't know what could be done to help her. I mean, that poor chicken looked like it served its time in hell and came back to earth to haunt us. But none the less, I threw away the burnt potatoes with a pout. Poor potatoes.

"Mum, I'm so hungry right now, I wasn't able to revise properly, I feel like mice were running around in my stomach" which was true. Mum just shook her head and threw the chicken away into the bin. Thankfully dad had turned off the alarm and went back to watching news on the T.V.

"Look, dear, I have some left over biryani from last night. Warm that up for you and your brother, I will sort something out for your dad" looks like biryani it was then and not noodles. With that, mum prepared dinner for dad, without burning anything this time. Alhamdulillah. And I, well I was stuck with biryani. I wasn't complaining though, when my mum didn't end up burning food, she made bomb biryani and anything else.

Once dinner was out the way I could finally go over my bio notes before my mini mock test tomorrow morning. Mondays were not my day, especially when a test was awaiting me.

It was a pleasant feeling to wake up to Surah Nuh as my alarm. I still had another half an hour to get to College so I decided to do my skin care routine. I know it's bad of me to be inconsistent but I'm just so busy and plus, right now my exams are my top priority.

I had successfully reached college, and stood outside my classroom. There I saw my Biology class-mate, Mandie. She was a gorgeous girl, standing at 5"4 with clear chocolate skin and curly black hair. As soon she saw me, her face transformed into a smile.

"Hey girl, how've you been, are you ready for the test"

"I was born ready Di. You know me" I flipped my hijab behind my shoulder for extra sass. To this, she just rolled her eyes grinning.