⭒39⭒

Pressure can burst a pipe,
Or pressure can make a diamond.
{Diana Ross}
_______

"So, what's the answer going to be, dear" he said after a couple seconds of silence. My mind was racing with thoughts as my entire body experienced a hot and cold sweat. I looked away from his eyes, which seemed to be glaring daggers at this point.

My sole attention was on running my hands through the end of my scarf, a habit I had when under scrutiny or really focusing on something.

The answer was on the tip of my tongue. I just needed the confidence to say it.

"No" I finally whispered out, and in that precise moment, everything felt sharper. Time seemed to be going slower. If a pin dropped at this point, I would be able to hear it. I didn't have enough balls to look at the demons face, but the eery silence said it all. Silence was always louder than words, and god, were they right.

But then it happened. The demon strides towards me and in an instant lifted me from the chair and onto the rough table. I shrieked in surprise and pain with the way I was being handled.

His hands trapped me from each side ontop the desk forcing me to look into his eyes, which seemed to be displaying many emotions. But most of all, anger.

"I gave you enough time, princesa, I think you're being quite selfish with your constant failure to realise who has whose life in their hands" he sneered out in disdain. His hands raked up my arm, leaving goosebumps in it's trail, and stopped at my shoulders. His face reached forwards and rested against my hijab clad neck.

"B-but, this isn't fair!" I tried to explain. "you don't understand, you're not Muslim. I will not marry a non-muslim!" My reasonings fell on deaf ears, as his other hand snaked around my throat applying light pressure. I sniffled back my tears, but didn't have enough control as they fell freely. Gosh, this was humiliating. Why did I need to fixate this burning curiosity. If only I could go back and change my mind. If only.

"Well if you're so hell bent in your answer" his face was inches away from mine "looks like I'll have to do something about that" I didn't realise he'd called someone until I could hear the ringtone blaring in the quietness. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

But that confusion banished the second my mother's greeting voiced through the phone. I was full on sobbing behind Rafael's rough hand. He smirked down at me, looking rather proud of himself that he could get me this worked up. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him!

"Hello" she said again for the second time. Her voice came out fine and just like I last heard it, which meant she was safe, for now. I shook my head desperately at Rafael, pleading him with my eyes to stop this foolishness. But my begging only fueled his sick and twisted actions.

"Hello, is this Mrs Bakhash I'm speaking to?" He exclaimed.

"Yes, who is this" confusing was clear in mamas tone.

"Nice to speak to you, this is Laila's..." He left the statement in the air for a couple of seconds causing me to shake my head rapidly. I shouted and screamed behind his tight hand, effectively blocking my cries, but I doubt my mother heard me.

"Fiance" mama gasped, no doubt in shock.

"I'm s-sorry, you must be mistaken, our Laila wou-"

"It's true, I'm afraid. I wanted to announce this to you under better circumstances, but poor Laila" he looked directly at me, looking past my defeated and tear stained face. "was too afraid of your reaction. I can assure you, you have nothing to worry about, mother" oh but she did, you demon. She did! And stop calling her mother! I internally raged.