⭒55⭒

Long were the days of pain I have spent within its walls, and long were the nights of aloneness; and who can depart from his pain and his aloneness without regret
{Khalil Gibran}
___

Turns out it was a Saturday. My body clock had been so messed up since the nights that shall not be mentioned that I didn't even know what day it was in Spain.

Alongside that, it was holidays here. Albeit, I was a supposed 'doctor', but thankfully we still had holidays since we were just students. One week was more than enough for me to regain my health.

I'd went to the Mukhtar's early in the morning and stupidly, on my behalf, Lameesa informed me holidays had begun. I was shell shocked for the first couple of minutes, trying to process what was going on, until I dumbly laughed it off.

My embarrassment was through the roof as she decided to laugh at my expense.

"We were thinking of going Valencia for a few days. Apparently the weather's going to be really good" she exclaimed excitedly and in that moment, I wish I shared her enthusiasm. But, for some reason, Jimena entered my mind.

I now technically had responsibilities. It just felt so wrong to leave her here whilst I would enjoy a good week off. So with that it mind, I gave Lameesa an answer.

"I would have loved to Lami, but I've been missing so many days off from hospital and plus, I need to prepare for my assignment on hospital placement" I grimaced, feeling bad as a dejected look washed across her countenance.

"It's okay" she sighed after a couple moments of silence. "It's understandable, but still, that doesn't mean I'm not letting you off the hook. You. Me. Late night adventure before you go back to England. Deal?" She held out her pinky as her squinted eyes watched me closely.

I grinned at the notion, seeing no wrong in just a girls night out.

"Fine deal" I clasped my own pinky with hers, a promise being set into play.

A few days passed before the Mukhtars were leaving their home. They were going to enjoy a family vacation to Valencia and despite how much every member of the Mukhtar household practically pleaded and begged me to go with them right till the very second-actually emotionally back mailed me to go with them-my answer was still the same.

Out of despair and annoyance, Sajdah banged her foot against the floor and crossed her arms, all the while supporting a pout.

"You're no fun sister Barakah!" She exclaimed. I couldn't help but giggle at her tactic, but eventually that came to a halt when both the twins ganged up on me and practically ran around the house, antagonising me. Safe to say, never get on the bad side of twins.

I've learned my lesson.

"Yallah habibti, there's still some time left until the bus leaves. Come on. You can wear Lameesa's clothes, yalla" she chastised, looking at me with a serious face, all the while making a 'tsk' sound, with her lips clasped together as if talking to a baby. I would have cracked under the pressure, but by some unasked prayer God cleared my way in the form of uncle.

"Ya hayati, if the girl has work then let her be. She can come another time, right daughter" uncle focused his attention on me after somewhat calming down his wife. I looked at him with hope, nodding along eagerly.

"Yes. I promise I will make this up to you auntie, just please don't be mad" came my saddened voice. I truly felt sorry for declining so many times, but I had to catch up on a lot of things.

Auntie looked at me for many minutes, opening and closing her mouth to suggest once more, but eventually she yielded. A sigh of dejection crossed her countenance, much like Lameesa's own reaction.