⭒5⭒

❝They've promised that dreams can come true- but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams too❞

Oscar Wilde
____________________

Cold darkened pits stared at me.

I tried to shield out my hand, but couldn't.

I tried to move my mouth to let out even a meek scream. But couldn't.

I tried to run away. But couldn't.

Almost like I was stuck. As if my feet were plunged into quicksand and my brain had been scraped out of my skull, making me unable to feel or think.

Turning around wildly, nothing could be seen but darkness. A never ending abyss of onyx black, playing with my senses. Was this real? Why does it feel as if my eyes are closed? Were my eyes closed?

Everything was tantalising my senses. Especially the eyes staring back at me. They seemed like a beacon of light at the end of a tunnel. But this was no tunnel. This was the devil's mind, where every evil of the world resided here.

Those eyes were coming alarmingly close at a quick pace, but yet were still far away. I tried to scream, run away but nothing could be done. It's hoarse voice calling for me.

"Laila"

The dark made it unable to see anything. I was blinded by my own thoughts. Blinded by being unable to do anything. It called for me again. Those eyes scorching my body up into flames.

"Laila!"

I couldn't witness myself being burned up. The fire slowly starting at my feet enveloping me in that heat up to my neck, the eyes still there, lingering around me, curved up, almost as if smiling.

With an earthquaking scream, the fire engulfed my face leaving nothing but ash behind. One last scream was given out.

"LAILA!"

Panting heavily, I see Lameesa looking down at me worriedly. Her hands on my shaking shoulders. Was I crying? It was soon confirmed as my body let out an uncontrollable sob.

"Shh. Habibti it was just a bad dream Laili. Calm down. Shhh" her words offered me a blanket of comfort. In contrast to my vivid nightmare. It seemed all too real.

"Lameesa. Can you stay with me here for the night" I said, slightly calming down. She nodded eagerly placing me into bed. Out loud she recited surah An-Nas in arabic. The meaning of the words paced around my mind. Making me feel at peace.

Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
The sovereign of mankind,
The god of mankind,
From the evil of the retreating whisperer.

I woke up to the sunlight blaring at me through the windows. Already I could feel the day would be a good one. Alhamdulillah. I tried not to think of my nightmare. Those eyes felt too surreal, showcasing avery evil intention a person could comprehend.

Today was Saturday, which meant a day off my work. I used this time to catch up on my family properly. The ringing voiced out in the room. Nadir answered.

"Assalamualaikum Laila. How are you?"

"Wa alay-kamus salaam Nadir Im good. How are you and mama baba. Hope you're not giving them a hard time "

His scoff could be heard through the call, to which I imagined him rolling his eyes.

"I'm a big man Laila. I can look after myself and my parents thank you very much" he let out. I giggled, shaking my head.