⭒57⭒

Your eyes are like Baghdad
Beautiful even when sad
{A Refugee}
____

Omertà was broken.

Rafael felt something was off ever since he returned from Russia. He had a lot of enemies in this business, which was no worries since no one knew his face. He could walk amongst society and no one would look at him twice, or doubt that he was part of the Mafia.

One of his men informed him of a data breach, hence why he'd been so busy these past few days. The firewalls were broken down and hacked and decoded within the span of a mere hour, despite the best hackers in the country and abroad sitting in Rafael's underground house, making sure something like this never happened.

It was then Rafael promised, the day he'd find out whom it was, that would be the person's last day to live. He would make sure of it!

"Any idea on who it could be?" Exclaimed Lorenzo, eyeing Rafael's back. He rubbed his unshaven face in thought, no suggestion coming to mind on who it could be. He'd just arrived, making himself comfortable by opening a few buttons of his police uniform and throwing the gun on the table with little regards to the leader stood before him. He could easily grab that gun and shoot him for simply pissing him off.

Just then Jimena ran into the room, giggling and screeching in joy. She hid behind her father's legs, using them as some sort of a shield. Rafael looked down at her, destroying the cigarette bud between his hands and discarding it into the ash tray.

He reached down to pick her up, as she jumped up and down eagerly. Simultaneously, he hid the gun which Lorenzo so casually threw across his damn table, skillfully tucking it in his suit pant. Meanwhile the sorry excuse of a man had the audacity to look sheepish under his lethal glare. Jimena's widened eyes rested over her father's shoulder, anticipating the arrival of someone special. No one came and her giddy mood faltered the slightest.

Just then, Laila entered the room a heaving mess, the small sprint too much for her. The little one was fast, she had to give her that. For such a small stature, Jimena made it up in speed. Something Laila needed to do more of.

Rafael gazed at his wife, as if seeing her for the first time. He'd noticed everything on her which he hadn't before, like the small beauty spot above her lip, or her naturally curl lashes, or her smile lines which she was conscious about. Little things he would have otherwise not bothered to notice on anyone else.

"Wait till I get-" Her words died down on her tongue, her reprimanding finger in the air slowly descending in embarrassment. This caused the little girl to squeal, wanting her father to move away from mama. Rafael steadied her in his arms, and Laila couldn't help but notice the way his muscles bulged against the fabric of the blazer.

She had to physically rotate her head towards a different direction, rather than just looking away, already feeling her face flush. Gosh was this embarrassing, she thought the moment her gaze aligned on a familiar face. He surely must have seen her peeking with the way his lips twitched into a concealed smirk. If it was possible she would have surely given herself a hard face palm.

Rafael watched the entire exchange holding back a smirk himself. His wife was merely affected by his presence, only god knows what she would be like if he, god forbid, did anything else. Something to commence that fire in her heart, she wore too innocently in her eyes.

"Laila" announced the cool and collected voice of Rafael, his gaze wholly on his beloved wife. His attention momentarily shifted to his daughter, squealing and moving about in his arms, wanting to be hidden from her mama.