Chapter 58

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!

___

Hikaru breathed in and out calmly, his heart racing in his throat. The sky rang with light, and his mind screamed at him to just abandon Konoha. 

And, not for the first time in the past few weeks, he was majorly considering it. More than he probably should. 

He stared out at Konoha from the Hokage Mountain, an apple in his hand that he didn't really plan on eating. His pants were smudged with dirt from training earlier, violet eyes sharp at he looked down at what had been his village at one point. 

It was one of those days where he longed for his timeline's Sasuke by his side, because surely Sasuke would know what to do. In fact, Hikaru had a feeling that Sasuke knew exactly what to do in this situation. He'd probably go on a murdering spree. 

But Hikaru couldn't do that. He couldn't just up and leave and kill everyone. Sure, he was considering just leaving, but at the same time he didn't want to leave everyone behind. 

A loud sigh behind him, and Hikaru jumped. He turned, seeing Shikamaru sitting down a meter away from him. 

"The clouds are pretty nice out today." Shikamaru drawled. His spikey brown hair was pulled into a ponytail, and Hikaru swore that he saw a little bit of his timeline's Shikamaru in him. It sent grief clawing at his chest, a reminder that he'd actually forgotten about that for a little bit. 

"I suppose," Hikaru answered quietly, taking a glance up at the clouds. They were thick and white, drifting slowly, scattered across the sky like a checkerboard. The sky itself was a darkened blue, a soft breeze playfully combing through his hair and tugging at his tired limbs. 

If he just jumped from here...

Hikaru shook the thought away, turning to Shikamaru. "I haven't seen you in awhile. How've you been?"

Shikamaru heaved a heavy sigh. "Troublesome. Ino's been bothering me more than ever for training even though we're both chunin..." He trailed off, laying flat on his back. His dark brown eyes darted over to Hikaru, and Hikaru had to force himself to not show any hint of emotion. 

"I never really got around to this, but thank you," Shikamaru murmured in the wind, "For saving Chouji."

Surprise curled in his chest, something warm rising with it. Hikaru felt a slight smile appear on his face, "It was no trouble." Hikaru said, casting his gaze back to Konoha. Civillians milled about, children running through the streets. 

They had no idea that Sakura was gone. And they definitely had no idea about what loomed over their heads. 

___

A hand curled tightly around his throat, and he coughed harshly. White appeared in static-like dots in front of his eyes, breath falling short. A soft, sadistic giggle rang in his ears. 

Something pierced through his gut. 

"Sakura-chan, good job!" Hamasaki's voice was clear, and Hikaru heard a quiet confirmation. 

"You killed me." Sakura's voice grew dark and distorted--

Tight, odd breath.

"You murdered me."

He couldn't bring himself to breathe, blood clawing painfully at the back of his throat. His weak limbs shook, a cry leaving his lips as something sliced through his finger.

What... what time was it?

Hikaru opened his eyes from where he'd been standing, looking at the clock. It was 3pm, but the last time Hikaru remembered was around... 7 at night. When had that been?