Chapter 65

Ah... Here we go.

___

Hikaru

He was desperate. And he needed to do something. Maybe his desperation would bleed into confidence, and maybe not, but he'd been denying something for almost too long now. 

The thing he was denying?

He didn't want to do any of this. 

He didn't want to face the very subject of his nightmares, hell, he barely could face Kakashi. 

So, here he was. Hiding out in his apartment for the time being, curled up with an Icha Icha book Jiraiya had dropped off not even three minutes ago. The cover was a soft blue, tilted, "Asami-chan's Adventure."

A small smile curled onto his lips, but he contined staring at the first page. It addressed both Asami and Hikaru, although he was listed as Kitsune. It was... heartwarming, almost. 

His mind turned back to his little dilemna. He wanted to run-- leave Konoha like the coward he was. He'd faced so many strong things, and he didn't want to anymore. He'd promised that children wouldn't have to fight, but at this point, they would have too. 

He couldn't. He couldn't pick up the sword leaning so innocently in the corner, couldn't even look at it. It had been stained so harshly with blood, stained to the very core and he just...

He wouldn't pick up a blade. He couldn't kill anymore, but he needed too. He needed to fight and rage and be bloodthirsty because that was what everybody expected of him. Everybody expected him to be strong and silent, but at this point, all he wanted to do was melt. 

And leave. Don't forget the leaving part. 

He turned a page in the book, seeing the darker blue kanji for "Faultline" stare up at him. 

Uncomprehending. 

He read through the book-- and kami, he couldn't put it down. There wasn't really any smut, it was just... heartwarming. Innocent in a way that seemed untouched. 

Kitsune stared at his lover, tears burning underneath his mask. "A- Asami-chan, I--"

She interrupted him, red staining her full lips and pale chin, the tears in her eyes glistening like a thousand stars she'd never seen again. "Shh. I know."

He blinked, failing to notice the way Naruto's chakra began approaching the building. 

Asami Shouya reached out a hand-- fingers painted the blue she loved, hand trembling as crimson constrasted her pale skin. Kitsune desperately grabbed it, hot tears blooming in his eyes. 

All at once, they were one and the same. Two sides of much different branches, with different circumstances in life. 

All at once, the hospital no longer mattered to them.

A knock at his door. 

And then Death knocked upon the door.

Naruto burst in, a serious look in his eyes. 

And stole his lover's brilliant mind away from him. Kidnapped her heart just like he'd taken her body into his bone fingers. Kitsune stood, shocked to his core, staring at the flatline.

Hikaru closed the book, sitting up and setting it to the side. He tilted his head as the door slammed shut, Naruto crossing the room. 

Sunlight streamed in through the window, highlighting the moment so clearly. He watched the way Naruto's fists were shaking as he pulled out a framed picture and tossed it towards Hikaru.