Chapter 26

Thank you all so much for over 1.5K reads! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

_______

Hikaru barely let himself breathe- it had been awhile since he'd actually been inside a base and doing what was essentially a spying mission. But, here he was at about three in the morning at least two hours away from Team Seven. 

He'd found out about another base near the shore, so he'd gone to scout it out. However, what he did not expect was a lot of guards, more smuggling equipment, and chakra-restraining everything. Handcuffs, ropes, armor... Hikaru could bet that this is where the Land of Snow got most of what they had that was chakra-restraining. 

He was already light-headed from skipping dinner the night before. It was something that he know severely regretted, even if it meant that Inari had gotten to eat more after the kid had stormed upstairs. 

He tried to focus on what he was doing currently, which was, of course, getting the hell out of the base. He wasn't lost, no, he was just trying to get past the insane amount of what appeared to be drugged civilians. 

It made sense, though. Hikaru really, really didn't like that it made sense, but it did. 

Gato had taken control of the Land of Waves- so what's to say that there wasn't a few 'missing' civilians from the surrounding areas? Who said that it wasn't the only thing Gato was doing?

It made Hikaru sick to his stomach. Violently so. 

But he still slowly headed back to the entrance, heart racing in his chest, trying to leave behind the musty smell that lingered heavily in the air even in the fog. 

He was so weak. 

His bones ached more than they had- a short, stabbing pain in his knee that Hikaru knew wasn't a product of arriving here- and the world was slowly starting to shrink around him. Not to mention there seemed to be something that was caught in his throat that no matter what, he could not get rid of-

He struggled to think. It surely hadn't been this hard to think moments ago, right? 

Right?

He was out of the base now. The morning sun welcomed his return to stable ground, and Hikaru adjusted his mask with trembling fingers. 

There was something so off about the area, but he couldn't pinpoint it. 

A small, almost unhearable voice in the back of his mind whispered for him to get the hell out of there, quickly.

Hikaru tried. He really did. 

But his limbs were unwilling to move and the world was starting to go all sorts of shades of grey and then-

Poison.

It was poison. Of course. 

The pain in his knee, the small, sharp sound he'd heard earlier. 

Hikaru was sluggish in channeling his chakra, and he was usually immune to poison but what the fuck-

Get out of here get out of here-

The world disappeared in a brilliant, much too bright whirl as Hikaru shunshined to the bedroom in Tsunami's house. 

He barely had time to breathe before there were multiple exclamations of surprise- Hikaru was so glad his henge was still sticking to his thin frame- that spun in his ears and he could barely think before he was suddenly on the ground.

He was weak. So weak. 

His legs had given out on him and Hikaru reached down with numb fingers to pull the syringe out of his knee, silently cursing himself for being an idiot. There were smeared colours in the room but Hikaru couldn't care less.