Chapter 55

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

___

"The day had started out innocently enough." He whispered to himself, numb, hands covered in river water that he wished he could torch off. "It had started so... just... here, I'm not sure anymore. I'm just trying to process. Yes. I'll recount it."

___

Hikaru stared blankly at the wall once more, his breath sharp. His chest was heaving, sweat dripping onto his flushed skin. 

Something had brushed against him. 

It had felt like a hand, ghosting against his cheek. The touch was so... familiar and sickening, leaving the taste of vomit heavy in Hikaru's mouth. He'd rushed to the bathroom right after waking up, sick and dizzy and feeling like he'd gotten thrown into a tree a few too many times. 

He pressed into the corner, eyes staring all over him. His entire body kept shaking, and he could physically taste his paranoia. It was hard to tell himself that he was just imagining it when he kept seeing things out of the corner of his eye. 

It reminded him too much of his cell. It reminded him way too much of Kiri, of the time trapped in his bonds, cold metal around his wrists and ankles. 

His hair brushed against his neck, startling him to the point that he jumped. His breath sped up, glancing down for a moment. 

A black shadow darted across the room, and Hikaru quickly looked back up. 

Whatever was messing with him needed to leave. Hikaru wasn't sure if it was plainly other things, or an actual shinobi, but it wasn't okay. He'd rather stab himself with a kunai before getting up and leaving, though. 

It wasn't like he could move anyway. 

His legs had gone completely numb, and his fingers were ice cold. Everything was so cold, his breath showing in the dark of his bedroom. His ears felt frozen, and he couldn't really feel the tip of his nose anymore. 

Hikaru blinked, clutching his sword even more. 

The ANBU mask fell to the ground with a resounding clatter, and Hikaru jumped up, leaning against the wall. His chakra automatically spread out, hunting for other chakra. 

Nothing. 

There was nobody, and if there was, they were extremely good at hiding their chakra. 

He glanced over at his ANBU mask, blood rushing to his head and filling his eyes with brilliant white spots. 

It was okay. He was okay. And there was nothing in his apartment, he was just paranoid. 

Yes. 

Paranoid. 

Hikaru slowly sat back down, eyes darting around the room. 

He wanted to sleep so, so badly. But every time he almost dozed off something happened, and it wasn't quite a good thing. 

It was like... killing intent, almost. But not quite. 

Hikaru thudded his head against the back of his wall, mind racing sluggishly. He couldn't really breathe that well-- his gaze was flashed with fear and his stomach was churning. 

He was so, so cold. 

His eyes slid closed. 

A gleeful sort of intent flooded the room, and Hikaru forced his eyes to remain closed. He deepened his breathing, letting his sword fall to the ground and his chakra go sluggish.