Chapter 42

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

____

Hikaru would admit he thought it would be less awkward than this. And, apparently, so did Kakashi.

Kakashi looked different somehow and it had only been a month since they'd last seen each other. Hikaru couldn't quite put his finger on how he looked different, nor could he really identify what he'd forgotten.

Kakashi blinked, shoving his hands casually in his pockets as he sauntered inside. He sat down on Hikaru's couch, staring briefly at Hikaru. "How'd your mission go?"

"It was okay." Hikaru murmured. "Uhm, I killed some Akatuski members, y'know the usual." 

"Akatsuki members." Kakashi chuckled softly, pulling out his book. "You never cease to suprise me."

Hikaru froze. Had Kakashi ever chuckled before? No, or at least, Hikaru didn't think so. Snort was a definite yes, and so was a giggle. But chuckling? It was new and unfamiliar and he didn't really know what else to say.

Hikaru glanced towards the floor, gathering his nerve. It was about time that he should apologize, especially because Kakashi had basically invited himself in.

"Sorry for pushing, by the way." Kakashi casually said, flipping a page in his Icha Icha.

He's... apologizing?

Hikaru didn't think he's ever heard this Kakashi apologize. Yes, his sensei had, but he'd learned to distinguish between the two. It was simple-- this Kakashi wasn't actually his sensei and was a completely different person with completely different morals.

And, apparently, apologizing when it wasn't needed was on the list.

Why is he apologizing?

"Ah- it's okay." Hikaru gave a slight smile. "I'm sorry for snapping at you."

"Maa, no need to get emotional, Hikaru-san." Kakashi teased him, making slight eye contact that somehow made Hikaru feel vulnerable.

"Just call me Hikaru." Hikaru finally got the courage to say. Kakashi looked slightly taken aback, before nodding and eye-smiling.

"Hikaru, then." Kakashi said. "So, should we have a team dinner tonight? Sakura and Sasuke have been asking about you."

Hikaru could be back on track if he accepted it. He missed Sasuke and Sakura anyway, so it could be a win-win.

"Hai," Hikaru hummed, before pulling out a quick seal. "Ah- Kakashi?" He glanced towards the other. "Here- this is for the chance that Naruto's fox is ever pulled out. It basically gives mortal wounds to whoever is trying to pull him out, and the Kyuubi is slapped back in. Just put it on Naruto."

"UsefuL," Kakashi commented, grabbing the slip of paper and tucking it into his kunai pouch. "I'll be over later. Ja ne."

Kakashi disappeared in a shunshin, a pile of leaves left on the couch in his wake. He stared blankly at the mess-- both of them knew that Kakashi really didn't need to do that, but he did anyway. Probaby to mess with Hikaru, who now had leaves buried in his couch.

He sighed softly, opening a window and starting to dump leaves out of it.

___

Later that night, Hikaru was on the couch after Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi left. The atmosphere had been different than before- a bit more sad and a little awkward without Naruto's constant rambling. 

Sakura ended up rambling about how Tsunade was a great mentor, and afterwards she added, in a very quiet voice, that her parents had left on a mission a week ago and she was staying at home.