Chapter 24

Hello! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

______

Hikaru was there when Naruto complained about d-rank missions-not to the Hokage, not quite yet. The blond genin was just grumbling, for now. 

Hikaru already knew that he'd be just overseeing the mission- acting as a ANBU guard for Naruto and Sasuke. He knew he wasn't to be seen by Kakashi- although the jonin knew he'd be on the mission.

So he wouldn't be. He spent the last day before he was sure Team Seven would get the mission strengthening his seals that allowed his chakra signature to be hidden, also adding a seal that let him be a tad bit weaker- there was no use in remaining hidden if everyone in a 10 mile radius knew he was preforming jutsu. 

So, he might've admitted he was scared of this mission a long, long time ago. But Hikaru was still brimming with the giddy feeling that he'd gotten rid of Orochimaru for good, and therefore he wasn't. 

They were still children. Team Seven were children, no matter how traumatized they were. So, Hikaru had told himself the moment he'd woken up to do anything to keep them from fighting against people they weren't quite prepared for. 

Thus, he was ready. 

___

Hikaru was with them when Naruto started complaining to the Hokage. He was with them when Tazuna walked in- Hikaru and Sarutobi exchanging quick, brief glances that spoke a hundred words. 

And, only moments later, Team Seven had walked out the door, led by Kakashi. Hikaru faced the Hokage, the privacy seals flashing. There was something about the room that was suddenly dark. 

Hikaru knew what would happen. 

And he, at all costs, would make absolute sure that Team Seven would not participate in a war that they were too young for. 

"First mission, hm?" Sarutobi said, easing the tension in the room as sunlight streamed softly through the windows, illuminating dust particles that briefly danced. 

"Hai." Hikaru said, letting a sigh slip through his lips. "In all honesty, I'm going to have to not interfere to remain hidden."

"I gave you an order, Hikaru-san." Sarutobi said, both of them having hashed out the details fully just yesterday morning. "Stick with them."

There was a tension in the room that could not be misplaced, along with a chill that ran down Hikaru's spine. His weak bones would be able to get him there and back, but for how much longer? How much longer would he be able to save what was left of this world and help it before he made like his old timeline and died?

He shoved the question away from his mind, violet eyes darkening for a second, accepting the plain white mask and the set of clothes that were handed to him. 

"Welcome to ANBU, Hikaru-san." Sarutobi smiled- not quite warmly, but in a way that screamed that he was sorry- and then Hikaru left by the window. The air billowed around him as he shunshined towards his apartment mid-air, leaving a few civilians mildly confused. 

___

They were finally out of the village. Hikaru had taken to sleeping during Sakura's watch- a mere hour and a half- and then sensing to make sure that Meizu and Gozu didn't show up. 

On the second day, they did. 

There was still something about the chains that Hikaru raised an eyebrow at- along with the genjutsu that Hikaru had disspelled almost instantly. He only saw a hint of it, a flash of war racing through his mind as he crouched in a tree, only for Kakashi to appear a few trees away from him. Within clear eyesight.