chapter fourteen.

❞

❞...Deal.❞

✯✯✯

LET'S TAKE A TRIP, to another universe at a completely different time. The universe that Alex had fell out of, the universe where her father remained, fighting against his own dark demons. The time we're talking about is 2 months after Alex fell out of her universe. 

Tony Stark hadn't been doing well after his daughter had gone missing, he had stopped sleeping for more than an hour each night. Pepper had tried to make him sleep but his constant anxiety and fear kept him up. 

He had taken the advice of his friends and would spend hours after hours in his lab trying to figure out a way to make the vortex again, to bring Alex back or at least go to a universe where Alex was. 

So there he was. Anthony Edward Stark, after having his daughter ripped away from him while he was trying to save the world. He still had nightmares about it. Watching her getting killed by the alien mutts. Or worse Loki. Anthony Stark was scared. He knew that he wanted someone like Alex to help him through his anxiety and refusal to sleep. 

He was driving his very expensive car to the orphanage. Sure, he made charities for young children. Twice or Thrice Alex had talked him into coming with her to the orphanage but he had never gone inside. But, he was determined to go inside and to adopt.

He knew that it was a crazy thing to do. But, it would be good for a kid and him. 

He wasn't looking to replace Alex, all he wanted was someone else to look after, someone to help take his mind off of things. He could never replace Alex and neither could he let a child think they were worthless, not after the childhood he'd had.

He entered the orphanage, went to the office of the owner and then he was walking deeper into the building. The children stopped to look at him, they knew who he was of course, he didn't know if he wanted a girl or a boy, all he knew was that he needed one and that only lucky child needed him.

"Can we go to where the teenagers are?"

He was Tony Stark, everyone should know better than to entrust young children in his hands, teenagers would at least survive being his, young children might end up with a multitude of problems and issues, and Tony didn't want that. 

"Yes, of course, Mr. Stark."

And they reached where the teenagers were, they were all tall and gangly and angsty. He knew exactly how it felt to be a teenager, to be at a point where you didn't want to be so young but neither did you want to grow up. 

He looked around, giving the teenagers who met his eyes an awkward smile. Then he saw the girl, a 16-year-old girl with blonde hair going down to her waist. He met eyes with her and she looked back at him, unimpresssed, "Uh... what — what's her name?"