chapter twenty-eight.

❞She wants time away

❞She wants time away.❞

I NEED TIME AWAY. I need some space. I can do that by running away. 

Those are the three statements running through my mind that convinced me to wait until everyone else in the manor fell asleep and start packing my bags. Tonight was my last patrol with the team for some time. Tonight's little argument with Timmy over his coffee was the last one I'd be able to have with him for some time. 

I pack my bag pretty quickly, there are a lot of clothes just stuffed into my leather Gucci bag. This is the most inconspicuous bag I could scrape up, I'm not lying. I'm leaving behind a lot of clothes that I'm sure I'll miss. But I can't stuff more clothes in. I wasted some space in the bag for two photo frames. 

My families. One from this universe and one from another. 

I get out of my room, it's no longer Jason's room. I go down the stairs, spinning a key on my finger, the key is to a bike in the garage. 

"Mistress Stark," A familiar British voice drawls in the dark, a light switches on, and there he is. Alfred Pennyworth, standing beside the light that switched on, "Going somewhere?"

"I'm... I'm going to Wally and Artemis' apartment for the night," I say, it's 1 AM right now, still a reasonable time by vigilante standards, "I got a little late while reading."

"Funny," Alfred hums, "I heard from Master Bruce that Master Wally and Mistress Artemis are away from Central City for the week and are vacationing in Hawaii."

Fuck, I didn't remember that. Alfred sighs, "Will you give me a few more excuses or will you deign to tell me why you're leaving, Mistress Stark?"

I take a beat, "I want a break, Alfred."

"From the job or from the family?"

"From everything," I say, "I want to take some time to take everything in, this new situation."

"The new situation of Master Jason coming back?" Alfred asks, "Or another situation?"

I shrug, "I just want to go."

Alfred takes a deep breath, "Then Mistress Stark, there is one question I wish to ask you, after answering which you may leave."

I raise my eyebrow, Alfred asks his question, "Have you left a note?"

I shake my head immediately, "I need to include details of my return..."

"And you don't know your return?"

I nod. Alfred sighs again, "Alright, Mistress Stark... then I guess this is goodbye."

It feels like an awkward goodbye. So I step toward Alfred, leaving him (my grandfather figure) behind without even as much as a hug is a complete violation of the manners he's taught me. 

I hug Alfred, he hugs me back immediately. His hand pats the back of my head and I smile into the hug, "I don't want to keep you too late Mistress Stark."

I sniff, I didn't realize I'd started tearing up, "Y - yeah."

"There is a box of cookies packed and left on the kitchen counter," Alfred says, he pulls away from me and gives me a smile, "I'd be surprised to find it still there in the morning, so please take it with you."

I grin, "Thanks, Alfred."

*

I wake up. It was a long night of patrol and then a movie night with Wally over the phone. Alex didn't join us since she was a little tired. After the day before yesterday's hang out Alex's been a little quieter, though she tries to make sure people don't notice, I've noticed.

I go downstairs. My back hurts, my arms hurt, actually, everything hurts. I am downstairs in a minute, and Jason is not there. Tim is at the table, he isn't passed out clutching an empty coffee cup. Bruce is there and he isn't occupied with his phone. 

Something's up. 

Alex isn't there, she's down here before I am. 

"Guys?" I ask, an uncomfortable feeling springing in my chest, "What's wrong?"

"Alex is missing."

And those three words make my heart stop. 

Alexandra Stark is gone. 

"What?"

"Her bed is empty, a bag is missing and half of her closet has been ransacked," Bruce explains, "I asked Alfred, he says he saw her leave in the middle of the night."

"And he didn't stop her?"

"And he didn't stop her," Tim confirms, "He says that Alex seemed in complete control of her senses and that she just wants a break."

I don't understand, "She could take a break without running away."

"She wants a break from everyone," Bruce says, he meets my eyes, "She wants time away... she's gotten it."

"We - we can't track her down?" I ask, "We - we can, right? We should! Alex can have time away from us while we know her location, right?"

"She wants time away, Dick," Bruce says and I really don't understand this situation, "She wants to be completely detached."

"Are you seriously telling me that the one time we need you to keep tabs on someone, you refuse?"

Bruce sighs, "Dick..."

I shake my head, "No Bruce!"

"Dick," Bruce repeats, "We need to respect Alex's decision."

I understand that. So I take a deep breath and walk away. 

I go to my bedroom. I don't want breakfast right now. I go to my dresser and grab my phone. I'm going to call Alex, it's a long shot but I want to take it. But I don't end up calling her, since I notice that my wallet is open. 

I open the wallet wider. Inspecting the contents I find my silver card missing, the card I bullied Bruce into giving me. Only one person knew about the transfer of ownership. Alex. 

I open my phone, banking app. I can track my card. I find the location easily. My card is no longer in the States, my card is in Saudi Arabia. 

Alex took my card. And she's leaving behind a trail for me to find. 

She's giving me two choices. First; I stay here and remain happy that I at least know where she's going and is staying. 

The second; I follow her. 

I smile.