chapter eight.

❞I'm wearing sneakers to the gala

❞I'm wearing sneakers to the gala.❞

✯✯✯

THEY HAD BEEN at the Gala for an increasingly long time and nothing had happened. Alex couldn't help but be suspicious. Dick, Jason and Bruce had lectured her about being vigilant at the gala as events such as these, held in Gotham, were a golden opportunity for villains to strike. Maybe the villains were targeting someplace else while the heroes were caught up with some irritating snobby rich people. Or maybe it was just Alex's throbbing feet, paining from having been pushed into very uncomfortable heels. She took a sip of the glass in her hand, from the distance it looked like champagne but in reality it was just apple juice. Courtesy of Bruce 'responsible father' Wayne.

Thought it didn't matter, Alex had already tasted champagne, thanks to her father suggesting that she have her first drink with him. Her father was the definition of overprotective especially when it came to her, but she had managed to convince him. Pulling the 'I'm gonna go off to college soon, and dad do you really want your only daughter to have her first drink with other irresponsible college kids?' card. 

She was watching the people dance. Jason and Artemis were on the other side of the ballroom. She was supposed to be with Wally West but he was weak for food. Honestly, I know all about the hype.

Alex looked on with a blank face. At the giggling people on the dance floor. How much had they had to drink? By the looks of it. Less than Alex.

She closed her blue eyes for some rest. She had woken up early in the morning for dress shopping with M'gann. To say that it had been a ghastly experience for the Stark Girl. It would've been an understatement. Everything went dark around Alex. She still heard the sounds of people dancing. Their drunken laughter. But, she was more focused on things that she hadn't been able to hear before.

She heard the clicking of a gun. Ruffling of cloth. Then static from a comm. She opened her eyes. It was a warning. It was a signal that Bruce Wayne was gone and Batman was there. She searched the seas of the crowd for Artemis and Jason. They were looking at her, and she knew. 

This was a part of her test, she had to handle the situation by herself. And batman would be at the scene to supervise her in case she was unable to handle it. 

She set her empty juice glass on the rotating silver platters, disappearing from the ballroom floor. She walked deeper into the mansion Bruce had rented for the gala, her eyes igniting green. 

Her powers were everything, they offered defence, offence, reconnaissance, etc. Her hands searched through her pockets, she found the specs soon. She put them on her face, "ELARA access security cameras around the building."

"I'm afraid Ms. Stark, there are no security cameras around the building," She groaned in annoyance, "There were three working security cameras when we arrived, but they've been put out of service 10 minutes ago."