Chapter 26 - New Cycle

Commonly known as the protector of rice cultivation, Inari is the diety that the village worships. Most of its depictions has the God accompanied by two foxes, serving as its messengers. As such, most of the shine dedicated to it has an abundant of fox statues as a decoration.

One of such statues was being observe at by a black haired boy. Glynne managed to take a glimpse of the Herrscher before Kallen could seal it away. It was no mistake that what he just saw was a fox with multiple tails like the one he is looking at right now.

He recalled the primitive ritual that villagers used. He only had a snippet of knowledge about it as he only knows that the village intended to sacrifice a child's life to their God in exchange for protection from the Honkai threat.

It was only his speculation but he thinks that the protection they are aiming is to summon one of Inari's messenger foxes. This might explain the huge pillar of light that he saw. However, instead of protecting the village from the Honkai threat, it chose to turn against them.

That might be because the deity that the village were worshiping was, in truth, a ruler of humanity's enemy, a Herrscher.

"But, it doesn't add up..." Glynne muttered under his breath.

There was a considerable time between the the appearance of the huge beam of light before he could feel the presence of the Herrscher. This means that the fox was not an enemy at the beginning. There might be something that happened in between that time.

"Is it Honkai corruption perhaps..?" Glynne thought as his mind drifted to the human that was corrupted by Honkai energy, zombies.

Since the huge fox was a quadrupedal creature, one of it main attacks is by the use of it's fangs. It might because it tries to fight off Honkai beat by biting them, it accidentally consumed some Honkai parts and in return, got corrupted by the huge amount of the energy those parts have.

However, this theory has a flaw. Honkai corruption can't possibly produce a Herrscher just like that. It didn't matter what the individual originally was, be it a mythical being or the strongest person in the entire world.

At best, those corrupted would just become super strong mindless individuals whose only reason was the destruction of human race. Of course they are still considered a threat comparable to Emperor level Honkai beast, but they are nothing compared to a Herrscher.

"Seriously, this is quite troublesome..." Glynne said as he ruffles his black hair.

He had already consulted about this matter to Theresa. As he has expected, she got no clue either.

In the first place, the topic of Herrscher is something that even scholars couldn't fully grasp. A lot of speculations that are circulating about them but they don't hold that much concrete evidence to be considered true.

It would be really convenient if he could find a friendly Herrscher that would willingly spill the truth. However, the odds of ever meeting one is quite impossible.

He scratched his head as he is a bit arritated. He needed to investigate how the Herrscher appeared and hope to stop it. He don't know where to start exactly as there is a lot of factors to investigate from. However, it was fortunate that he has at least one lead in his hand.

"Oh, have you rested already?" He heard Kallen's voice as he turned his head to see her coming out and closing the door behind her.

"Yeah, I'm a light sleeper so I only need a few hours of rest." Glynne responded. His attention quickly shifted from the fox statue to her.

"That's no good, it's better to take care of one's body." Kallen scolded. As she sat down on the wooden veranda, she pat the area by her side. "Come, sit here."