XVII

After much needed stress relief for both of us, Oberyn and I decided to leave Sunspear to visit Lemonwood, ruled by House Dalt. It is a short trip, only a fortnight away from Sunspear. We thought it best to meet a noble family before our child's birth, especially since we haven't seen any of them since our wedding festivities. They were the most gracious of hosts, we talked over some delicious lemon pies every day. I can finally understand why Sansa likes them so.

Overlooking the vast crops of lemon and blood oranges, Lady Dalt and I were having a very interesting conversation regarding childbirth. She told me that with her son, who is only a year old, she was in pain for days before his arrival. However, it gave her time to discover a couple of things, like it is best to lie down when pushing, instead of standing or kneeling like they do here in Dorne. She told me that drinking lots of water and walking helped her speed it up a bit.

"I sure do hope my child comes out quicker than yours, as helpful as your advice is, I do not wish to labor for two days." She chuckled before turning back to me. "You will do just fine Princess, I believe you to be much stronger than you let on." I wonder if the rest of Dorne thinks that of me, my whores are still out touring the nobles beds so I don't know anything new from them, since they can't write. "What is on your mind Princess, maybe I can help?"

"My father has always said that a lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep, and I never have. However, I feel uneasy as to how the people of Dorne view me. It is all so very different from what I know. Now I wonder if this will affect how they see my child, the child of a lion and snake." Lady Dalt remained silent for a couple of minutes, thinking over her answer.

"I don't have a proper answer, however, I can tell you that most of the noble houses are pleased with you as their princess. You didn't have to, yet you helped solve the problem of the dying crops in the east not that long ago and made a great deal with merchants from Essos. Besides, the people love how you have decided to embrace Dornish culture with how you dress and visit them in town, along with taking the Princess' daughters as your own. People have noticed that you are not the monster your father is."

The rest of our stay was spent with us exchanging Dornish court gossip, including the fights Ellaria has gotten herself into over at the Sand Castle. Apparently she didn't know that there is a hierarchy about the forgotten mistresses, foolish of her, wherever you go there will always be a hierarchy. After two weeks it was time to go back home.

***

I was terribly ill during our trip back, with our babe being so close to birth, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to travel. When we did get back, Oberyn immediately took me back to our chambers and had Tayta draw me a bath. Afterwards we laid together on the balcony, me laying on his bare chest, looking over our people. 

Oberyn's hands are tracing figures in my very swollen belly, and he speaks sweet nothing to it. "You are going to be so strong, you will learn to fight just like your sisters and mother. You, my child will always be surrounded by people who love you, and you have a father and subjects that would go to war to protect you-" he is interrupted by a knock on the door.

Elyn moves to answer and says, "It's Toko my Lady." I sit up, albeit with difficulty, and walk over to the sitting room where he waits for me. "Tell me you have good news." His face already screams conflict. 

"I am afraid all I can bring you is bad news, again... Lord Renly Baratheon was murdered in his tent, they blame his newest member of the guard, they blame Lady Brienne, and she had to flee camp. You eldest brother, Ser Jaime is still missing, though he is no longer in custody of the Starks, and we have heard that Lord Stannis is preparing an attack on Kingslanding." Oh gods, the crow can be cruel.