Chapter - 1

MURDER PARTY

"This is fun!" Hannah said excitedly. 

"Are you serious? We're hiding a body!" I growled at her with wide eyes.

We were standing on damp ground, covered with trees on both sides. I had a shovel in my hand, and Hannah's hands were muddy. There was a dug-up grave in front of us. The atmosphere around us seemed throat-choking. 

However, suddenly, Hannah burst out into laughter, gawking at my face. 

"CUT!!!" a loud and angry voice yelled from behind a camera setup. It was Grace.

We were standing in an abandoned piece of Kaslo park which we hired to do our project shooting. 

I am Emily. Hannah and Grace are two of my best friends from our university. 

Hannah was a chirpy, artsy, lovable girl with a smile that never left her face. However, for people out of Hannah's circle of friends, she could be a bit cheeky and harsh. But taking a closer look would reveal her real personality. She owned slightly wavy ash-brown hair with wide amber eyes and her charming dimples when she smiled. 

Grace, on the contrary, was a taciturn, reserved, secretive girl and a keen observant with honey blonde hair pairing her sapphire eyes. 

Although Hannah and Grace seemed like polar opposites, they had one thing in common - a kind heart and a focused mind. Well, for Hannah, this didn't apply to things she disliked.  

Even though none of us had much interest in the art of filming, as first-year students of the Arts Institute of Vancouver in Canada, we were bound to have at least a shallow knowledge about all kinds of art. Our institute believed in respect for all arts. Hence, the camera setup. We were completing a project that has been assigned to our crew of five persons - Hannah, Grace, Janice, Maddy, and me. 

"Guys! This is so not my type of art." Hannah said while continuing to laugh like a maniac. 

"I can't act! Seriously, I don't think I can ever do it," she declared, trying to control herself after noticing our constant glares. 

"50 takes for a single shot. Girl! We have to end our project by next week. At this pace, I don't think we would ever be able to complete it." Janice said worriedly, lowering her head into her hand. 

We all were tired. Thanks to Hannah, who was hardly ashamed of her carelessness. 

"Let's just take a break, guys! It's already getting late. We have a shift at the restaurant too." I said, glancing at the sky, which had turned red and orange as the sun began sinking its way back into the depths of space. 

The tint of red, orange, and pink that flooded the sky was a masterpiece. Although the sun was setting, the sky's colours turned even more rich and full. When I admire the wonders of a sunset and the peaceful skies, my soul urges me to respect its creator. 

As I turned my gaze towards my peers, I saw them packing up their stuff. I moved forward and tossed the shovel in my hand into a large trunk that contained other accessories such as, camera stand, coats, a spade, and a lot of other such stuff. 

Soon after everything was wrapped up, we bid each other goodbye and left on our ways. Hannah, Grace, and I were to head towards Melody's Dine-In, where we worked as part-time employees.