Chapter - 8

CHEROPHOBIA

"I know about your talk with Martha. About that dinner party, you wanna visit." Hannah said with nearly no expressions in her voice.

Neither anger nor complaint. Just sheer coldness.

My head jerked up in her direction to see her blank face staring at me. I gulped, glancing at her face. Sweat wetting my fidgeting arms.

Why am I suddenly so nervous?

"It's--it's not what you think it is. It is just---" I stuttered, unable to find the appropriate words to explain to Hannah the situation I was in.

It has never been difficult for me to talk my heart out in front of Hannah or Grace. But why was today any different?

Hannah raised a brow towards me. Not to mention Tania's continuous glares. Just when I was about to speak, a nurse barged in with an angry expression decorated on her face.

"I need someone to get the patient's medications from the office right now! And I won't come back to say that again." She huffed and turned around before any of us could reply to her.

Tania left behind her in order to catch where she was going.

The appearance of the nurse in the middle of this tense moment made me relax a bit. I took some deep breaths and normalized my freaking out senses.

As soon as Tania and the nurse left, Hannah's attention turned towards me once again. And felt the atmosphere tighten back. Restlessly, I kept locking and unlocking the handbag that I carried.

After a few moments, I thought of making another attempt.

"Hannah, actually..." I hesitated.

And when I was about to say something, Hannah burst out into laughter. She was laughing like a maniac until tears welled up from her eyes.

"Oh, my poor innocent girl!" She said, taking deep breaths to control her laughter.

I kept staring at her in disbelief. My mind was processing the change in the environment while Hannah guffawed at my confusion.

It took me a few seconds before I could understand the reason for her amusement. However, I was too late to react.

"I was just joking," Hannah said, laying down her arms. "I intended on keeping the drama up for a bit more time. But, never mind. This was fun too." She chuckled again.

My expressions turned from nervousness to annoyance. I blew a slight punch on Hannah's head, and she whined in turn.

"Ouch! You should not be seen beating up a patient who is recovering from her fractures." She complained and giggled again for the millionth time.

I rolled my eyes. Huffing, I sat on the nearby chair with anger dripping from all over my face.

"Come on! It was nothing more than a slight leg-pull. Don't get so huffy puffy!" Hannah protested, suppressing her giggles.

"You know what! I might have had a heart attack. You shouldn't have behaved like this." I grumbled only to watch a wide sheepish grin arouse on her face.

My discontent was lending her pleasure, which was the most irritating part.

"How do you even know what we talked about?" I suddenly asked suspiciously as a thought passed my mind.

"Oh, sorry! Actually, Tania was leaving the room when she overheard your talk with Martha. I know she shouldn't have done it, but it was fun playing a prank on you." She apologized.