Chapter - 18

LOVE TURNS UGLY

"Why in the world would he wanna meet us, eh?" I stated rhetorically with hints of surprise in my voice.

"Do we know him?" Hannah asked with puzzled expressions. 

"Does he have any photos posted of him, eh?" Grace asked suddenly. 

"Umm, yeah, I guess. Wait, lemme check," Hannah tapped on the screen a few times before her face lit up. "Here, this is what he looks like." 

Hannah turned her mobile screen towards us, illuminating our faces. We narrowed our eyes to glance at the person in the photograph. It was a stout man leaning on the fence, smiling with a crooked smile. His hair was short, and he was average in fitness. 

"This is him!" Grace pointed confidentially. 

"Him who?" Hannah raised a brow. 

"The one I saw with Maddy's father." She replied, her eyes fixed at the picture. 

"Maybe, he saw you too," I said out of turn. 

"What do you mean?" Evan turned towards me.

"I mean, he might have some knowledge about Maddy. Let's just have a meeting with him. I have strong intuition this would give us a trial." I proposed, looking at each one of them in their eyes, turn by turn. 

After a while of silence, Evan nodded. "Fine. I'm in," he agreed. "Until you keep a safe distance from him." He warned me. 

"Why me?" I was puzzled. 

"Remember the threat you received from some anonymous person." He tapped on my head, making me roll my eyes. 

"I'm not a mimosa girl. Don't treat me like a damsel in distress." I replied with annoyance. 

"Whatever. This interrogation can only proceed as long as you comply with my orders." He stuck to his guns. 

I huffed but agreed. 

"So we are going to meet this guy, Mason?" Martha confirmed. 

But Evan sat upright, hearing the name the left Martha's mouth. 

"Mason?!" Evan exclaimed with his eyes widening at the name. 

"Yeah. That's what Hannah said his name was." Martha turned towards Hannah, who nodded, validating her word. 

Evan's head snapped towards me. I was already staring at him with expressions similar to his. The name we saw on the computer screen flashed in our brains. 

Mason ♡ Maddy. 

Is this the same Mason? I thought to myself. Our weird behaviour confused others in the room, and hence we had to narrate to them whatever we saw. 

"So you wanna say Mason could be Maddy's secret lover?" Hannah questioned with bizarre expressions. 

The one thing Hannah hated to her death was secret boyfriends. She would leave the talk if someone was even starting to begin this topic. 

"Maybe. Maybe not. Can't say if this is the same, Mason." I sighed. 

Until we heard what Mason had to say, we can't really get to a point. But one thing we had clear in our minds was that,

Everyone out of this room was considered a suspect. No one could be trusted now. 

Hours passed, discussing if we could come up with anything with the information we already have. Nonetheless, we didn't reach a conclusion. 

At the moment, the lights of the room were all switched on, illuminating the shaded parts of the room. Evan engaged himself again in decoding the caller ID, which sent me the message with Grace seated beside him to help with any coding language she had. 

Martha, Hannah and I were preparing a sort of questionnaire for interrogating Mason tomorrow when my phone beeped beside me. I took a moment and picked it up the only to see a message from the HOD, aka Ms. Penelope, for all first-year students. It said we had an open ceremony to overcome the sad demise of Maddy's death on the day after tomorrow. 

I'm glad it wasn't tomorrow as we had a plan set for tomorrow's meet. 

I informed Hannah about it, and, soon the group talks erupted with gossip and whispers. Hannah was puzzled to hear it, but we overlooked it as we knew our HOD did mindless acts sometimes. 

The night went by without realizing that the sun had risen up. The sun shined with all its glory in the bright blue skies, warding off all traces of obscurity of night. 

We did as we planned. Martha, Hannah and Grace went to meet Mason at the place they texted him to meet at. While they were gone, Evan and I made the setup of a classic interrogation room. 

They arrived after around half an hour. Mason entered the room behind Martha. He was startled to see me but kept walking until he sat in front of Evan with a table separating the two. 

"So, Mason, eh?" Evan began his interrogation. 

Mason nodded awkwardly. 

And the next one hour was a tense interrogation with Mason, which nearly made him drown in his sweat. The news he exposed was so much more than we expected. 

"Who killed Maddy, again?" Evan confirmed, not believing what he heard. 

"I did." He said, fret dripping through his face.

********
Hey, awesome readers!
Thanks for continuing my book so far.

I love you soooo much

Don't forget to vote, comment and share ;)

See you in the next chapter
We are nearing the end :D

~Toodles :)