Chapter - 12

DEATH AS RANSOME

"Any contact after that? Isn't she in college?" I inquired.

"I called her several times, but her phone is on voice-mail. Texted but no reply." Hannah disclosed worriedly.

"That's strange. Where would she go?" I asked rhetorically, wrinkles gathering over my forehead. "Checked with her crewmates?" I inquired as a thought flashed in my mind.

Hannah nodded up and down sadly.

"Non-Beneficial," she sighed. "They said she left at midnight."

The situation was turning worrisome. Grace hasn't contacted us, nor her crew, and she was not at home either. Where is she then?

"Did you check in the college?" I asked with hope.

"Not yet. I was waiting so we could go find out together." She replied.

"Okay! You go check in the Arts department. I'll head towards the Computer department. " I instructed, and we parted our ways.

The next few hours drifted, walking through the corridors inquiring each and every person about Grace. Starting from the professors to the students to the janitors and other staff.

With every head that shook and every mouth that denied, the fire of hope flickering inside my chest extinguished bit by bit, making my heart turn into ashes.

No! Grace is alright. At the end of the day, we will find her standing on a cola stand and laugh at how she drove us crazy.

I comforted myself as I proceeded towards the canteen, keenly observing every passerby. While questioning all my classmates, I stumbled onto Janice and Maddy once again. They grasped my worry and asked, "Is everything alright? You seem pretty disturbed?"

"I am finding Grace. Eh, have you seen her?" I questioned again, hope building inside me.

"No," both of them shook their heads left-right.

I sighed with disappointment.

"Is she alright? Do you need some help?" Maddy inquired, studying mine over-tensed expressions.

"I don't know. We haven't heard from Grace since last night, and no one knows either. Where did she disappear?" I cried, losing my sense out of fear.

"Calm down. She must be here somewhere in the college, maybe. We will help in finding her too." Janice offered.

I appreciated her offer with a sad smile. Just when we were about to dismantle, a high-pitched voice called out from the crowd.

"Hey, you! With the toque on your brain." A girl standing on a table yelled.

Realizing I was the only one wearing a toque right now, I patiently walked towards her.

"What do you want?" I raised my eyebrow confidently, standing some feet away from the table.

"Get aside," I heard that commanding voice.

It was Ms. Penelope herself. She drove off the girl on the table, and stood in her place.

"This girl," she started pointing towards me. "She thinks she is a poor sweet, and you all flies might eat her little things up." She mocked, and the whole cafeteria laughed in unison with some stupid whistling and passing vulgar comments.

I clenched my fists, and my jaw turned stiff. I knew exactly what Penelope was pointing at. But I stood silent without uttering a word.

"Oh, poor, poor girl! Won't reply now?" She hissed.

I raised my head up, looking straight into her eyes. My shoulders were broad yet humble, and I stood tall with my feet firm.

"With due respect, I don't have the audacity to mock or reply to a mock towards my Head of Department, considering her seniority to me in age as well as position." I plainly declared. "I can't degrade my morals, even if the whole world implies to do it." I stepped back, and the only voice I could for the next few seconds was the sound of my footsteps.

After that, silent whispers and gossips started erupting amongst the students. I quietly walked towards Maddy and Janice.

"What does she have on you, eh?" Janice grumbled.

"Why would she do that?" Maddy huffed, rolling her eyes.

Revenge. For replying to Ms. HOD that night.

I took a deep breath. Grace. She is my priority for now.

"You're coming, eh?" I confirmed.

They nodded, and we left the canteen. I heard some inappropriate gossip but chose to ignore it.

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not your regular girl thinking she is too fragile to fight back. If I wished, I would have punched each and every person passing comments on their face. I stand true to my principles and what I believe. No one has the right to change my mind except me. And I wasn't ashamed of what I think.

I might be different. But you see, unique is also a synonym for different!

However, right now, I have many more important topics to focus on. And developing an intellectual war with my HOD was most certainly, not one of them.

For the next few hours, we searched every nook and cranny. Nonetheless, we couldn't find Grace. No one knew about her.

Our college was about to end. We came out of our classes dull-faced and worried.

With heavy hearts, we decided to head towards the restaurant to inquire if someone saw her there. Neither of us talked. We were afraid to say anything, even think anything that might come up inappropriate.

The sun was hiding behind those tall skyscrapers when we reached Melody's Diner. Everyone inside the diner appeared fresh and ready to serve the evening rush hours. Everyone was there.

Everyone except Grace.

Heavy-hearted, we headed towards the kitchen. Melody noticed us entering, and her face lit with joy.

"Hannah, darling!" Melody chirped. "Oh, your sling. It must be hurting, eh?" She said with hints of sadness.

"I'm fine, Melody." Hannah comforted her with a faint smile.

I watched them from a distance while picking up my apron and cap when my phone suddenly vibrated. I picked it up swiftly, hoping to hear something from Grace.

Yes, there was news about Grace. But not the one we expected.

It was text message reading-

Hey, gambler! Welcome to the lost and found stage of our game.
Finding your friend? Don't worry, she is just here and taken care of.
Want her back? Well, you need to do a task to ascend until you get to her.
Midnight. At Kaslo Park. Near the closed office.
Don't try to act over-smart. I'll know if you do.
Any move of yours can cost your friend her life.

*VIDEO*

I was horrified to look at it. It was a video of Grace tied up to a pole. Her eyes were covered with a piece of cloth. Damaged and injured, she sat there unconscious.