Chapter - 17

DECRYPTING MURDERER'S MIND

Before it turned dark, everyone was back with their resources. Martha came with loads of files stuffed in a carry bag. Hannah and Grace came with a diary full of scribbles. Lastly, Evan and I had some literally unexpected news for them. 

Martha went first to spill the details about Maddy's murder. She had a complete case study of her death. 

"First, check out this," she forwarded a file towards us. "This is her complete autopsy report." 

"Death due to strangling?" Evan raised his brow as he read something on the report. 

"Yes. Marks of forceful torture all over her body with chain depressions on hands and feet." Martha commented. 

I was shocked to hear and hurt too. Still, I kept silent. 

"Next is her call records and some investigations from her peers," Martha continued. "Janice said she last heard from her when Maddy was at Kaslo Park. Her call records show she made a few calls before going out of reach." Saying, Martha handed a paper with a list on it to me. 

I did a careful examination. Some of the names on the list were familiar, while some others completely unknown. What caught my attention was a name that spelled NOTSOUSYET. It almost sounded gibberish when read together. 

However, it was actually not-so-us-yet, with a heart emoji at the end. These were the numbers Maddy had saved on her mobile. So she definitely knew who this person was as she had a 5 minutes call with this same person before her cell went off.

I highlighted the name and passed the sheet to Grace for further observation, turning my attention towards Martha. 

"The pathologist further said that Maddy was definitely killed in an old, closed room. The reason being, effect on her respiratory system faced due to tiny dust particles gathering in the tube in enormous numbers." Martha narrated what the pathologist told her. 

Everything was relatable. We found Maddy's body in that creepy office which was as dusty as an old trunk. It was most probable that she was murdered there. There were many such things that Martha presented before us, which confirmed her death in that room. 

Next came Hannah and Grace. They collected responses from Maddy's friends and family about her death. 

"According to Janice, she was unaware of why Maddy visited the park. It seemed off to her, but she chose to ignore and not dig too much." Hannah read through her bullet points. 

"Which, however, contradicts the statement of Maddy's mother," Grace spoke this time. 

Her eyes were stiffened on the paper she held with her voice being firm and thoughtful.

"What did her mom say?" I raised the most obvious question. 

Grace lifted her head up, glanced at my uneasy expressions for a few seconds before turning her gaze back towards the paper.

"She said Maddy was habitual of visiting the park every day. She loved to jog there. Never had she ever missed a day." Grace added and a layer of suspicion encompassed around us. 

Evan quickly made a note of it. I kept aimlessly staring around each one to speak further. When they didn't, I came up. 

"So we have two suspects now? This caller," I said, pointing at the highlighted number on the list. "And Janice." 

All gazes turned towards me. 

"There's more to the story," Hannah disclosed. "The murders are undoubtedly distinctive. However," she took a pause to dramatize her tone. "They still have one thing in common."