Chapter - 20

CONNECTING THE DOTS

The truth was unveiled, and it was uglier than the veil itself. Mason was handed over to the police to be taken care of. His recorded confession was presented before the court. 

He accepted the crime. He never intended to reject it as he carried a burden of guilt all over himself. But mere guilt can't reverse the crime that has been committed. 

We were shocked and grieved to hear what was happening in this region. 

Are youngsters so mindless? Where are we heading? 

But, the case wasn't closed yet. There was this mastermind to be found. To end this game for good the game master has to be stopped. 

So I guess our investigation was to be continued. But before thinking about anything, in particular, we had to attend the ceremony held for Maddy. Our HOD had peculiarly insisted each of us first-year students attend it. 

As a tribute to Maddy, we went to the ceremony. The hall was filled with people as it was an open gathering. We managed to get ourselves a seat. It was just us three, Hannah, Grace and me. 

We sat there quietly until we saw Ms. Penelope climbs up the stage and handles the podium mic. She began with an introductory speech and a thank you gesture to all who were attending the ceremony. 

After a formal talk, she started encouraging the students. 

"We…" Miss Penelope began. "We are the future of tomorrow. We have the living entities here, and we live here because the dead don't bother us. It's the living we need to worry about." Her speech startled me. 

These were the exact same words from the note I received.

"We have multiple choices in our life. However, only those who chose wisely would ascend. The rest of them, who ignored it or were too scared to grab the chance, will sink into the depths of the darkness." Ms. Penelope declared. 

We were speechless. Our expressions were a mix of surprise, confusion and dubiety. 

"It's your life. It's your choice. You live only to fulfill your dreams, your temptations and your pleasure. Anyone serving as a wall between you and your desires can be considered a dead-man speaking." She concluded, and the hall echoed with the sounds of homogenous claps and cheers. 

Reality has hit our faces, and it has hit us hard. Penelope was manipulating the youth with her sugar-coated venomous words. There was definitely something she has been hiding. Suspicions dripped from her sole personality and preachings. 

I pulled out my phone silently from my bag without letting many people notice it. Texting the details of what we were going through to Evan, I slid it back inside the bag and zipped the chain. I firmly held the bag on my lap, attempting to empower my baffled soul by the hold. 

"So, from now on," Penelope continued after the sound of cheers settled down. "After the death of Ms. Maddy Parker, I hereby declare that every student here has a right for themselves above others." 

Away from here at Martha's apartment, Evan read my text and his eyes burned in rage. He immediately called a few of his friends. 

"You are the youth. You must acknowledge your value. It's your life which means it's your choice. Doesn't matter if others disagreed. Crush the ones in your way and step over them to head towards success." Penelope motivated. 

Evan, along with three other men, dressed in complete black slick garments, tiptoed inside a huge bungalow. The hanging nameplate read - Ms. Penelope Souvenirs. 

"You girls, you are the toys everyone craves to play with. So present yourself prettier than you are. You have a whole life to mingle through relationships." She suggested.  

Barging inside the bungalow, all four of them dispersed themselves. One of them went upwards and the other towards the basement. The rest of the two spread into the sides. 

"My last name is Souvenirs. Do you know what that means?" She threw towards the crowd. A faint murmuring started gaining pace in the listeners. 

The person from the upper part spoke in the Bluetooth device connected to his suit. He had found a room full of decaying corpses of animals and birds pinned on the walls.

Penelope smiled as she noticed she had managed to engage her audience in her speech. "You don't know, do you?" She said with a deadly smirk.

Evan, who was in the basement, heard the voice from the guy in the upper region through his receiver. However, he had discovered something more unsettling in the basement. 

"It means I am the one to make you remember that you have your life superior to others, and theirs doesn't matter if yours is at stake." She ended by emphasizing each word she said. As soon as Penelope backed from the podium, a huge round of applause by the audience was received. 

The basement was well maintained and had nearly the weapons and tools of all the murders that had ever taken place in this area. Also, a wardrobe with enormous numbers of Halloween costumes hanging in it was maintained neatly. 

********
L

AST CHAPTER!!!!!!
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!
I'M FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW.....

*deep breaths*
Okay! I'm back to my senses.

So, if you're still here, I truly appreciate your presence.
*sending virtual hugs*

Thank you so so so much guys!
You all are the best ❤

A small Epilogue awaits after this ;)
See you there!

~Toodles:)