Chapter - 5

MURDERED FOR THE TAPES!

The door was unlocked, which meant only two things. Either I, being clumsy, as always, rushed out of the room without locking it properly in the morning. Or maybe, Zendaya was still in the room. 

However, I knew Zendaya usually used to show up only during the afternoon break and leave before dusk. But there wasn't a rule stating she must leave just at the right time. She might have been a bit late. Thoughts kept popping up in my mind as I twisted the nob and pushed the door inside, slowly revealing the features inside the room. We had two small footwear cabinets near the entrance. 

As soon as the door opened, I stepped inside, and my gaze met a nightmare. Zendaya was lying on the floor on her stomach, blood surrounding all over her body. She was wearing a red witch costume which was smeared with blood. Her smooth chestnut hair clumped upon her back, draining in her blood as her head faced opposite to my direction. 

There was a box of cassette tapes near her bleeding head. A few cassettes were also thrown outside in distorted conditions. 

I dropped the shopper in my hand with both my palms covering my mouth as a suppressed gasp escaped my lips. The stale smell of blood made me feel nauseous. I gripped the doorknob to avoid losing balance. 

I wanted to scream, but my body wasn't supporting my instincts. I was feeling as if my body was palsied. My legs were stuck. I would stumble and fall if I try. My heart was pounding in my chest, and tears rolled down my cheeks. 

After a few moments of paralyzed state, I heard myself speak on the phone. 

"911. What can we do for you?" I heard a young lady say. 

"My roommate is dead. In the art institute. Room 404. Please help." I pleaded, sobbing as tears streamed down my face. 

The lady on the other side consoled me while assuring me that the police will reach the spot soon. She kept speaking some other stuff too, but I couldn't pay heed to her talks as my eyes stared at the bloody, gore scene in front of me. 

My legs finally started walking backward as the stink of that red liquid got unbearably harmful to my respiratory system. I started taking deep breaths as soon as I was away from the doorstep. My lungs felt short of oxygen. 

I leaned my back towards the wall and stood there crying, sobbing, whimpering until I heard the cops gather around the room. A lady cop held me by my shoulders and walked me out of there, comforting me. 

I could see her lips move in slow motion, but my ears weren't sensing the sounds. 

Maybe my phone was ringing too. Voices started jumbling up. I felt my body lose weight as darkness flashed in front of my eyes. 

I woke up in a room surrounded by bright lights. My eyes flickered painstakingly as my pupil struggled to adapt to the immensely white surroundings. My heavy eyelashes kept dropping down, making my view intermittent. 

After a small conquest with myself, my senses began functioning, enabling me to organize my wavered thoughts. I figured the walls around me were all whitewashed, and a sound of beeping could be heard from a place somewhere above my head. 

As soon as my mind grasped that I have been lying on a hospital bed, my reflexes responded. I snapped my head out of the soft, spongy, white cushion, trying to get up, pushing my elbows. 

However, unexpectedly, my body being too debilitated to react, disregarded my intentions, throwing me back at the white patient's bed. My body dolorously struck the steel bars under the soft mattresses causing me to whimper.