Chapter - 4

ATTEMPTED TO MURDER

The next few hours went in a hurry-scurry. Hannah hit hard on the stage. In her attempt to prevent the blow, Hannah severely injured her right hand while also getting a fracture in her ribs.

What made the injuries worse were the metallic props settled just where she struck. The metallic pieces pierced through her skin as she approached the floor.

We rushed her to the hospital, placed her on the stretcher, and hurried her into the emergency ward with blood oozing from her damaged superficial veins of shoulders and jaws.

She wore a white cardigan top which had adopted the red color now. And her baby pink, wide-leg trousers were decorated with spots of red too.

Our hands were wrapped in blood as we insanely cried her name to wake her up throughout the ambulance ride. Tears welled from deep inside and coursed down our cheeks.

In front of the operation theatre, we paced back and forth impatiently. Tears still flooded our cheeks while we muttered silent prayers under our breaths. Moans escaped our lips through the suppressed sounds of hiccups.

After a long period of time, at least that's what we felt, the surgeon emerged out of the OT and walked towards us. My heartbeat rose, and my hands started shivering as he approached.

"She is out of danger now," the surgeon informed professionally. And I felt a wave of peace and calmness flowing through my existence.

"But she is unconscious. We were able to stop the internal as well as external bleeding," the surgeon paused.

Our gazes were fixed at his expressions as they changed finely.

"She got plenty of her bones fractured, including her tenth rib, a break at her right arm, and several cuts on her right leg. She was lucky to not have hurt her spine or skull severely. We're shifting her to the ICU for observation. You can meet her once she regains consciousness," informed the surgeon before leaving with a curt nod.

Clearly, we weren't allowed to meet her right now. However, a sense of relief dispersed inside our bodies now that we knew she was stable. I threw myself on the chair placed in the waiting area, lifting my head up towards the sky.

Our prayers were answered. A faint smile slipped on my lips.

Grace quietly sat beside me, rubbing her puffy eyes. She looked relaxed too. It's been a crazy day.

Wait a minute, what time is it in the day!?

I glanced out of the window located on the right-hand side, near the corridor. The sky was turning yellow-orange, the same tint of colors I saw yesterday.

But, no! It wasn't the same anymore. Nothing was the same anymore.

I sighed and dragged out my cell from my handbag. Several notifications popped up as soon as the screen was turned on. I ignored them all.

I unnecessarily scrolled down my gallery glancing at our group pictures. Hannah had spoiled most of them by making stupid faces, and Grace used to give her a blow right after the photo was clicked.

A few tears broke from my eyes, tracing their way down my cheeks as I felt my heart weeping. I knew she was alright. But the pain she might have gone through or maybe was going through made my heart heavy. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back on the chair.

I heard some murmuring and gossiping sounds from the end of the corridor. Yet, I was too gloomy to care.

After a while, I felt two hands gently placed on my knees. My heavy eyes opened up only to see Martha sitting crouched on her knees in front of me.