Newly Turned (Marcel Gerard)

Summary: Y/N and Marcel were dating when one of Marcel's enemies tried to kill Y/N to hurt him. Y/N had vampire blood in their system, so the attempt failed, but now Marcel's going to have to do everything he can to help reader through a very rough transition.

****************

BANG!

I shot out of bed to a loud, jarring sound from downstairs, like someone slamming a door. It was the middle of the night, and I was instantly on high alert. Especially since I was dating Marcel Gerard, who had plenty of enemies out there trying to hurt him.

One of those enemies had attacked last week, with unfortunate success. But, instead of going after Marcel, he went after me, snapping my neck in front of my boyfriend to take away the person he loved.

Too bad for the asshole that I'd had vampire blood in my system. Now I was newly turned, and everything was heightened every single second of the day. And it sucked.

Still, the one upside was that I actually had a way to defend myself now. Marcel was still asleep, so I crept out of bed and headed downstairs to investigate the source of the noise. It was probably nothing, since even the smallest of noises woke me up now, but I wanted to check anyway.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and heard, faintly, the sound of breathing and a rapid heartbeat. Footsteps shuffled through the living room, and the smell coming towards me was decidedly human.

My stomach growled. I could hear the blood pumping in the person's veins, and even though I knew I shouldn't be able to, I could smell the blood. My feet moved me across the floor towards this person before I realized it was happening, dragging me there whether I liked it or not.

I stopped on the threshold of the living room to see a human burglar rifling through the draws. He was being impossibly quiet, for a human, but every snap of the drawers sounded like a thunderclap to my new senses.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to keep my hunger from getting the best of me. I didn't want to hurt anybody, but I was just so fucking hungry all the time!

"Whoa! Who are you?"

I opened my eyes to see the human staring at me, wide-eyed and panicked. He must've turned around and seen me standing in the doorway, since I knew I hadn't made a sound.

"You need to leave," I ground out, my voice barely audible. I grit my teeth against the transformation my body started to make, the black veins I could feel forming under my eyes. Every muscle in my body screamed at me to strike, to eat, and it took every ounce of strength I had to hold myself back.

I knew it wouldn't last long.

"I... I don't..." The guy was tripping over his words, clutching a cloth bag to his chest. He looked scared out of his mind, which only made his heart beat faster, the pounding even louder in my ears. He shifted foot to foot, and I managed to hold back for another few seconds. And then my resolve broke.

I rushed forward with super speed, faster than the human could register. One minute I was in the doorway, and the next, I was directly in front of him, the dark veins under my eyes fully forming as my hunger took me over.

I heard the man scream as I bit into his neck, tearing flesh to drink the warm red liquid pouring from the wound. The world faded away even as my senses heightened, leaving just me and the man before me, and nothing else. Nothing but that hunger, driving me to drink more, more, more-

"Y/N! That's enough!"

Marcel's deep baritone echoed through the house as he ripped me away from the would-be burglar. My heart was hammering, and I didn't take my eyes off the stranger. He was in bad shape, bad enough that Marcel fed him some blood to keep him from dying on our carpet.

"Get out of here. You don't remember anything, and you're never coming back here," said Marcel, looking away from me just long enough to compel the man and send him running. Then he turned back to me, eyes wide as he threw his arms out, demanding an explanation. "What the hell was that, Y/N?"

"I'm hungry, Marcel!" I yelled. My head spun and my stomach still growled, the anger and frustration warring with the insane guilt sinking in at the image of the man, almost dead because of me. "I wake up in the middle of the night because the smallest noises sound like gunshots going off next to my head, and I'm alone with a human for more than ten seconds and I almost kill them! It's eating at me every second of the day, I can't control it! I can't- Agh!"

I screamed, the storm of emotions getting the best of me as I flung the nearest end table into the wall. The strength, the smell, the speed, the intensity of everything was just too much. It was too much to deal with.

Marcel took a deep breath, remarkably calm in the hurricane I felt swirling around the room. He looked at me, understanding in his eyes.

"The transition into being a vampire is a rough one," he said finally, taking a few steps towards me. "And I'm sorry I didn't realize just how hard it was going to be on you. You're normally so good at rolling with everything that comes your way, I didn't stop to think this might be different. I'm sorry for that. But I'm here for you, now and forever, and we're gonna get through this together."

My breathing was heavy as I slowly shook my head. "I don't think I can, Marcel. I... I don't think I can handle this."

"Yes, you can," he said, absolute determination in his voice as he crossed the room and closed the rest of the distance between us. "You are the strongest person I know, Y/N, and you are so much stronger than you realize. If all those people who joined me throughout the years could survive it, then I know for a fact you can too."

I shook my head, tears streaming out of my eyes as the intense anger and hunger faded to sadness. Marcel just wrapped his arms around me and held me close, even as I shook my head and sobbed into his chest.

"I'm so sorry you're in this position, Y/N. I'm sorry I drug you into all this," he said, rubbing soothing circled on my back as he muttered into my hair. "I promise I'm going to get you through this. I love you so much."

I just squeezed tighter, nodding and willing myself to believe his words. I heard his slow, steady heartbeat echoing in his chest and focused on it, on him. A few deep breaths, in and out, with Marcel muttering reassurance to me. Slowly, the horrible tidal wave of emotions started to recede. It was still there, waiting to crash down again, but with Marcel's help I was able to hold it at bay.

Slowly, I pulled back and looked up into the eyes of the man I loved. He kept holding me close, a steadying presence as his eyes roved my face. An anchor to keep me grounded in the chaos.

"How do you feel?" he asked carefully.

"Still bad," I replied. It was the truth, and I didn't want to lie to him. "But... better."

Marcel nodded, a small smile forming on his face as he took me in.

"That'll get easier, too. We'll work on it. I've done this a few times over the centuries, so I promise I won't drop the ball with you."

I smiled and leaned in towards the love of my life, kissing him and doing my best to lose myself in him. There were a lot of downsides to becoming a vampire, and I was getting more than a taste of all of them. But one of the best possible things that kept me going was the idea that I could spend eternity with the man I loved. Me and Marcel, together no matter what changes and challenges the world brought our way.