Whom (Elijah Mikaelson)

Summary: Y/N and Elijah have been dating for almost a year, yet Y/N still doesn't know their boyfriend is a vampire. Elijah's determined to keep them out of it, but when an ambush comes at the end of a date, he might not be able to hide the truth any longer.

****************

"Alright, where to next?"

I smiled up to at boyfriend, Elijah Mikaelson, as we walked hand-in-hand through the streets of the French Quarter. After a few weeks of barely seeing him because he'd been so busy, we'd finally blocked out the whole day to spend together, doing whatever we felt like. We'd started with a nice picnic lunch before getting ice cream at my favorite spot in the city, and now we were looking for our next adventure.

"I'd be happy to follow you wherever you want to go," he said, leaning over to press a soft kiss to my temple. I smiled.

"I missed you while you were so busy."

"And I missed you. Unfortunately, my family requires my attention more often than I'd like."

I chewed at my lip as we walked a few more steps, then spoke up.

"I wish you'd let me help with some of it," I said. "I know all your siblings pretty well now, and I love spending time with them. I'd be happy to help you and them with whatever the problem is."

Elijah smiled wistfully and looked off into the distance, not meeting my eyes. Whenever I brought up being more involved in certain parts of his life, Elijah always had this same reaction.

"I love how much you want to help, Y/N," he said. "But with some things, there's just nothing you can do."

"E, you always give me that answer," I said, tugging at his arm a little bit to get him to look at me. "I'm not letting you off the hook that easily. I love you, and I want to be a part of your life in every way. I want to help you carry whatever burdens are always weighing on your shoulders."

Elijah sighed heavily and came to a stop, gently pulling me to a stop with him. I leaned back against the brick wall of a storefront, next to the entrance to an alleyway, and stared at my boyfriend as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Y/N... I love you. With everything that I am," he started.

"But?"

"...But there are things about my family and I that you don't know. And that I don't think you'd like to know."

"What, Elijah, are you all secretly part of the British mob or something?" Elijah huffed a laugh and looked away, so I stepped forward and pulled him to me by his lapels. "Come on, I'm serious. There's nothing you could tell me that would change the way I feel about you."

Elijah huffed a humorless laugh. "I don't know about that..."

I stared at him for a few more beats, hoping the silence would encourage him to tell me more. When it didn't, I sighed.

"Alright, you have a right to keep me out of whatever it is if you want to," I said. "But just know I'm here if you ever change your mind."

"I know. And I love you for it," he said, pulling me in close and giving me a soft kiss. I smiled as we pulled apart, then took a deep breath.

"Alright. Where are we going next?"

"How about a walk through the park?"

"Sounds perfect to me."

We shared a smile as Elijah took my hand again, and we headed off down the alley towards one of our favorite parks.

"So... after our walk in the park, I thought we could go through the bookstore?" mused Elijah, his voice a little too fake-casual. My face immediately broke into a giant grin.