Better Than Revenge (Rebekah Mikaelson)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "Yes. No. I don't know."

Summary: Y/N has become the town's supernatural doctor, against their will. They've formed a fairly good bond with the Mikaelsons, despite being human, and it didn't take them long to fall in love with Rebekah, although they haven't admitted that to her.When Rebekah's on the war path against the Mystic Falls gang, however, it might just be time to admit those feelings and see where things take them.

A/N: This absolutely doesn't follow the timeline of TVD correctly, largely because I misremembered the details of the seasons and didn't double-check until this fic was almost done. Just pretend the one where Elena stabs Rebekah in the back before the dance is the same one as when Rebekah runs Elena and Matt off the road, all with Klaus alive and in his own body.

****************

I sighed as I headed up the familiar stairs of the Mikaelson Mansion, home to five terrifying Original vampires in none other than Mystic Falls, Virginia. I'd been roped into the vampire drama fairly early since I worked an internship with the medical examiner and I couldn't just ignore all the suspicious deaths and disappearances. From there, I'd actually managed to form a peace with most of the supernaturals in town, functioning as a sort of secret doctor for all the various witches, wizards, and werewolves running around.

Honestly, I would've been happy just to stay out of it. But when the Mikaelsons rolled into town, hell broke loose all over again, and I got roped into helping them along with every other supernatural creature in town.

If I was being honest with myself, I didn't mind the Mikaelsons all that much, especially in comparison. Elijah was always very polite and we'd become fairly good friends, Kol and I shared a love for the same type of music, and Finn was just happy to have someone to gush to about Sage. Klaus and I had taken a little longer to gel, but we'd finally managed to form our own weird friendship too, and he regularly came to the rescue if somebody in town decided they wanted to use me as leverage.

And then there was Rebekah. Gorgeous, strong, secretly soft and kind Rebekah. I'd fallen pretty hard for her from the first moment I saw her, and at this point I was just proud of myself for being able to form a normal, calm friendship with her without totally freaking out. Out of all of them, Mikaelsons and Mystic Falls gang and everyone in between, she seemed the least happy to be caught up in all this stuff, too, although she probably wouldn't admit it.

She'd been planning to go to the high school dance with some of the Mystic Falls kids, and I'd wanted to go with her so badly I could hardly stand it. But she was going with Stefan, and they seemed intent on rekindling some something or other from their past. It seemed like a terrible idea to me, but if it made her happy, I wasn't going to get in the way of it.

So, instead of going to the dance with my crush (even though I'd definitely outgrown high school), I'd stayed home. I fell asleep early, only to get woken up in the middle of the night by my phone screeching at me, Klaus' unique ringtone blasting through my room. He needed me immediately, ASAP, emergency, he'd said. I groaned and muttered some incoherent curses, but got moving nonetheless.

Now I was trudging up the gravel path towards their house, trying to stay awake and alert for whatever I might find inside. You really never knew in situations like this.

Just as I reached the porch and was about to knock on the door, it went flying open, and I found Rebekah storming out, a furious expression on her face. If it hadn't been for her superspeed she probably would've crashed right into me and taken us both to the ground.

"Whoa!" I said, taking a half-step back in surprise. "Bex, holy shit, you scared me!"

"Y/N? I'm sorry, I didn't- what are you doing here?"