Garlic (Damon Salvatore)

Summary: Reader went through a vampire phase with all their friends in college. They got over their vampire phase when they moved to Mystic Falls, discovered vampires were real and started dating one. Or, maybe that means they never got over their vampire phase. Either way, they're mostly past the point of going to cheesy festivals where people dress up as vampires and wave crosses around. But when the old college squad is getting back together to go to a vampire festival in the area, just for kicks, reader can't resist bringing their boyfriend, Damon, along in the spirit of making the trip way more fun.

****************

"Damon, come on! It'll be fun!"

"Y/N, no way! A festival where a bunch of freaks in costumes spend the day pretending to be vampires is not gonna be fun!"

I just rolled my eyes, looking away and trying to come up with something—anything—to reply to that. A few friends from college were still going through their vampire phases (although I couldn't really judge them, since I was dating one) and they'd invited me to the vampire equivalent of a renaissance festival a few towns over from Mystic Falls. Before meeting Damon, it might have been fun. Now, I knew way too much about the truth of the supernatural world to enjoy all the things people got wrong.

Unless, of course, my boyfriend came with and we made fun of it all together

"Damon please. It's not gonna be any fun without you!"

"You just said it would be fun! You're lying right to me!"

"Okay, fine, it'll be fun if you're there. Otherwise it'll totally suck."

"Why don't you just tell them you don't want to go?" he asked, walking around the living room of the Savlatore Boarding House and pouring himself a drink.

"Because I don't get to see them very often! This was a big thing for us back before I knew you, it feels important to keep the ties, you know?"

"No, I don't know." I gave Damon my absolute best 'pretty please?' face, and after a minute he broke. He rolled his eyes and went to flop down on the couch. "Fine. But you owe me, and I'm not gonna let you forget it."

I grinned and walked around the couch to join him, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"You're the best babe."

"I know."

****************

"Y/N!" Katie, one of my friends from college, screamed happily and ran over to pull me into a hug. Damon and I were driving down with Katie, Mike, and Melanie in Melanie's car, and they'd just arrived to pick us up. "It's so good to see you again!"

"You too!" I replied, hugging her back with equal force. I exchanged similar greetings with the rest of my friends, then officially introduced them to my boyfriend, Damon Salvatore.

"He's cute," Katie whispered to me as we walked to the car. Damon could hear every word, of course, although she had no idea. "Almost like he strolled right out of one of those vampire novels we read together."

"Yeah," I said, laughing before turning to share a significant look with Damon. This was going to be a fun day.

After a quick two-hour car ride, we had officially arrived at the festival. Damon got out and stretched, basking in the sunshine and already rubbing it in just how little everyone here knew about vampires.

"Well, this is sure gonna be interesting," he said, putting one arm around me. We looked around, taking in the sights of the festival. We were still in the parking lot, and from here we could already see people in dark and old clothing, people walking around with umbrellas to shield them from the sun, and people wearing big wreaths of garlic around their necks.