Study Break (Stefan Salvatore)

Prompt: "Will you look at this?"

Summary: Reader is dating Stefan Salvatore. She's is studying physics, and is in the middle of a study date with Stefan when Stefan changes the plan, giving her a much needed break from trying to solve the same problem set over and over.

Day nine of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"Stefaaaaaaan," I groaned, smacking my head down on the table. My boyfriend and I were having a study date, and I was absolutely losing my mind over the physics problem set I had to do.

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking up from his work with an amused smile.

"Physics is stupid and horrible and I don't get it."

"You've had an A in every physics class you've ever taken."

"Except this one! Apparently there's some disconnect in my brain, and I just completely don't understand anything about this stupid class!"

"Y/N, you're being ridiculous. I'm sure you'll get this."

I just groaned and smacked my head on the table again. I picked it back up to see Stefan shaking his head at me, a small smile on his face.

"Ugh, will you look at this? Maybe some hundred and whatever year old wisdom will help."

"I've never really been a physics person, but I can try." Stephan leaned around so he could see my paper. I pointed to the first problem to give him something to focus on, even though I was having trouble with the whole thing. He looked at it for a second, then leaned in a little closer to squint. Finally, he turned to look at me, and I could already tell I wasn't going to like whatever he had to say.

"You forgot to carry a two when you were doing some multiplication in the margins of the page," he said simply. I stared at him for a minute, not willing or able to process his words, and then I groaned and went face down on the table again.

"I'm dropping out of school, Stefan," I grumbled through the muffling of the table and my physics notebook. "I'm gonna go live in the woods or on an island or something, where math is unnecessary and obsolete."

"I don't know if math would be obsolete in either of those situations..."

I just sighed heavily and put my arms over my head, blocking out the world. I closed my eyes, too tired to deal with the whole thing anymore. Maybe I could learn physics through osmosis, and all my problems would be solved when I gathered the strength to try these stupid things again.

"Okay, you clearly need a break," said Stefan, shifting in his chair. I could tell he was looking at me, but I didn't move a muscle to meet his gaze.

"No. I need to finish this homework, and then I need to finish this class, and then I need to walk into the ocean."

Stefan snorted at that, then put a hand on my back.

"Come on. I'm taking you on a vacation for your brain. You seriously, seriously need it." I didn't move or say anything, so Stefan spoke again. "You know, I do have super strength, and I am more than willing to carry you out of this library, if that's what it takes."

I groaned, but picked my head up to look at him anyway. He smiled, but I just tried to flop back down on the table.

"Nope! Nope, come on. We're going, and we're doing something fun," he said, catching me mid-collapse and half-carrying me to the door. "All this work will still be here for you when we get back."

I whined all the way out the door, but I was honestly too exhausted and fed up to really protest. Maybe Stefan was right. Maybe I needed a little fun to let the physics part of my brain rest.