Out on the Town (Damon Salvatore)

Prompt: "That's the best costume I've ever seen!" "Uh, dude, not a costume."

Summary: Y/N and Damon are dating, having a fun night out on the town. Y/N, being a human, can't keep up with vampire energy without good hydration, so she leaves her boyfriend to go get a drink from the bar. Unfortunately for her, some guy decides that's the perfect time to try and hit on her. Unfortunately for the guy, Damon Salvatore is certainly not going to stand around and let that slide.

****************

"Alright, I'll be right back! I just need to get a quick drink!" I danced backwards and away from my boyfriend, Damon Salvatore, who was still going strong in the middle of the dance floor.

"What? Don't tell me you're tired already!" he called after me over the near-deafening noise of the music.

"Not all of us have super human stamina!" I called back. He booed, but I just rolled my eyes and waved him off as I stumbled to the bar, giggling like a maniac. I wasn't even particularly drunk! I was just having the time of my life being out on the town with Damon.

Somehow, every moment I spent with him just made me feel so alive.

"Hi!" I called out to the bartender with a big smile as soon as I got in range. "Can I just get a water, please?"

"Sure thing, coming right up."

I smiled and leaned back against the bar, scanning the crowd while I waited. I caught sight of Damon dancing it up in the middle of a big crowd, his shirt completely unbuttoned and hanging open as he commanded the attention of the room.

He really was something else. And I loved it.

"Hey there, honey," I heard a voice from way too close to my ear behind me. I took a giant step away and turned as I did, coming face to face with a man leering at me as he leaned against the bar. "You look amazing."

"Thanks," I said tightly. I glanced over to see how the bartender was doing with my water, but she'd gotten caught up dealing with a large group at the other end of the bar. I sighed.

"Don't tell me you're here by yourself? Pretty girl like you doesn't have a date?"

"Alright, get lost," I snapped. I started to turn to go back to Damon, but the guy caught my arm and pulled me back before I could.

"C'mon, don't walk away from me just like that."

I took a deep breath, ready to throw a scene and make every single person in this room aware of how horrible this man was, but my boyfriend beat me to it.

Damon sped in front of me in an instant. He yanked the stranger's arm away from me, and even though I was tucked safely behind his back, I could tell that he'd gone full vamp, fangs out and dark veins popping.

"Woah!" said the asshole, taking a half step back without looking very scared. "That's the best costume I've ever seen!"

"Uh, dude, not a costume," said Damon. The guy looked confused before Damon hissed and bared his teeth, then punched the guy square in the face. The guy's head snapped back, but Damon used his super strength and speed to keep the guy from falling over so no one in the bar noticed anything wrong.

The asshole swore loudly, and now he looked properly scared. Before he could so much as scream, however, Damon grabbed him by the hair and forced him to make eye contact.

"Alright, normally I'd just take you out back and kill you, but I'm here with my girlfriend, and I don't think she'd want me ruining the rest of our night over some piece of shit like you," he said. I'd known him long enough by now that I could tell he was compelling the guy. "So, instead, I'm gonna find another way to keep you from being a problem ever again.

"For the rest of your life, you will not talk to, look at, or touch another woman until she initiates something. And if she does initiate something but then realizes that you're a giant dick who's not worth her time, then you have to go right back to not talking, looking, or touching."

The guy nodded, clearly struck dumb from the compulsion, and Damon shoved him backwards as he let go of the guy's hair. He took a deep breath and shook out the tension in his shoulders as the guy stumbled around the bar, then turned to me.

"Are you okay?" he looked concerned, but also clearly pleased with himself. I grinned right back at him and wasted no time before wrapping my arms around his neck and giving him a big kiss.

"I'm fine," I said once we finally pulled apart. "Thanks to you. The big bad vampire, my hero."

Damon rolled his eyes and tried to brush me off, but I could tell he was secretly glowing at my words. His chest puffed up a little as he held his arm out to me, and of course, I took it.

"You get your water yet?" he asked.

"No, the poor bartender's insanely busy-"

Right on cue, the woman in question popped back into view and set my cup of water down on the bar with a smile. Damon grinned and grabbed it for me, then handed it over as we headed back towards the dancefloor.

"You think that water's gonna be enough for you to keep up with me for the rest of the night?" Damon taunted. I downed the whole cup in a few swallows, then left it on the nearest table as we reached the edge of the crowd again.

"Bring it, Salvatore. I'm about to dance circles around you all night long."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

Damon smiled as I flung my head back and got into the music, swaying my hips and forgetting the dude from earlier to just enjoy the night with my boyfriend. Damon was at my side in an instant, wrapping his arms around me as we swayed to the music. Even in the middle of a crowded dancefloor, the rest of the world seemed to fade away when I was with him.