Halloween (Enzo St. John)

Written for @auroracalisto's prompt challenge on Tumblr!

Prompt: "Halloween sucks."

Summary: Y/N LOVES Halloween, and even if their boyfriend Enzo isn't as sold on the kooky costumes and everything else with the holiday, Y/N refuses to be deterred. Unfortunately for Y/N, vampires complicate everything—especially Halloween.

****************

"Halloween is the best!" I cried, looking at my costume proudly. I'd decided to dress up as a classic, over-the-top vampire (since I was dating a real one), and it looked exactly like I'd been hoping it would.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about," muttered my boyfriend, Enzo, from behind me. He was kicked back on our bed without a costume, watching me with amusement. "It's just an excuse for humans to dress up and pretend they're something they're not. Although, I have to say, I don't mind the view it's giving me right now."

I caught him looking me up and down with absolutely no shame as I glared at him in the mirror. When he met my eyes, he just grinned at me.

"You're a menace," I said. It only made him smile wider. "Besides, the best part of Halloween is the idea that you can pretend to be anything you want to be! When I was a kid, I went as a Jedi and absolutely kicked the ass of this jerk from school that tried to challenge me to a duel with his knight's sword."

Enzo laughed and didn't bother responding as I went into the bathroom and put the final touches on my vampire makeup. Finally, once I was satisfied, I walked back into the bedroom with a massive smile on my face. I did a slow turn in front of Enzo, then spread my arms wide in a 'ta-da' gesture.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I think you look absolutely gorgeous, even when you're wearing that ridiculous costume," he said, finally pushing off the bed and standing. I frowned at him as he came over to me. "Now, if you're ready, we were supposed to be at Caroline's stupid party an hour ago."

"Oh come on, she'd kill us if we showed up on time to a party," I shot back. "And where's your costume?"

"Didn't my complete disinterest in the holiday and mockery of how much you all love it get the message across? I'm not dressing up."

I glared at him, but he just smiled right back at me. I used our brief staring contest to think, and after a second, a brilliant idea came to me. I put my hands on my hips and fixed Enzo with my fiercest look.

"If you go like that, in your plain gray v neck, I'm gonna tell everybody you're dressed as Edward Cullen."

Now it was Enzo's turn to glare. He stared me down and I stared right back, but after a few seconds, he broke down with a heavy sigh and an eye roll.

"Fine. Give me five minutes. But I want it on the record that I'm not participating in this ridiculous holiday by my own free will!"

****************

Just over ten minutes later, Enzo and I were in the car on the way to Caroline's party. She'd found some crazy location at Whitmore to host, as usual, and invited the whole school and then some.

Fortunately, that was exactly the kind of energy I wanted for Halloween.

I'd been waiting for Enzo in the driveway when he came out of the house with, like, four nametags stuck on his shirt with the names of the Salvatores, Matt, and Tyler. When I asked what he was, he replied with "Identity thief", and I didn't say a word before rolling my eyes and getting in the car.

"Better than Edward Cullen," he'd muttered.

"Barely."

Finally, we arrived at Caroline's party. There was almost no space to park, and I could tell things were already in full swing. I grinned at Enzo and took his hand, pulling him towards the doors. He tried to keep up his aloof attitude, but he couldn't keep a smile off his face as he looked at me. My energy was infectious, and there was nothing he could do about it.