4. Your Turn or Mine?

The Siren felt his eyes grow wide at the Captain's request. None of his Master's had ever offered to answer any of his questions before. In fact, he'd learned very quickly that it was always best not to ask questions as they were usually answered with a cuff round the head for being impertinent.

Raephier searched his mind looking for the perfect question. He could think of plenty of little things like what month it was, or whether he would get more food, or what the book was that the Captain was reading last night. Raephier didn't know how to read, and watching others do it always fascinated him.

He tore his mind away from such thoughts and tried to think of something of greater importance. Afterall, he had no idea if one question was all he would get.

An idea sprung to his mind and he looked up at Jacob.

"Why did you buy me?"

If Raephier hadn't been staring intensely at Jacob's features, he would have missed the slight tightening of the jaw.

He immediately looked away, silently chastising himself for asking a question that the Captain didn't like.

"That's a fair question," Jacob answered, and as there was no anger in his tone, Raephier found the courage to look up at him again.

Jacob gave Raephier a soft smile.

"I bought a weapon to help us get home. It's important that we get some supplies to the island where we live, but the waters there are patrolled by our enemies, so we needed something to guarantee us safe passage."

Raephier nodded at the answer. But although he felt like his question had been answered, he also realised that it had just led to more questions.

"Ok, so now it's my turn," Jacob said.

Raephier chewed on his bottom lip in nervous anticipation. He hoped he didn't bring up the shape shifting thing again.

"Now before I ask you a question, I need you to promise me something," Jacob said, staring intently into Raephier's eyes.

Raephier nodded in response. There was something about the Captain's stare that made him both nervous and excited in equal measure.

"I need you to promise that you'll tell me the truth," Jacob said. "I'll understand if you don't want to go into detail, or reveal anything too personal, but please don't tell any untruths. If you tell me even one lie and I find out, I won't be able to believe anything else that you've told me. And it's important that I can trust you, Raephier. It's important that you can trust me as well. If there is something you feel you can't tell me, I would rather you admit that you don't want to tell me, than make up an answer. Is that clear?"

Raephier tried hard to concentrate on what the Captain was telling him, but when he got overwhelmed his mind tended to drift off, and right now he was getting distracted with the way the Captain's lips moved when he spoke. But he heard enough to know that the Captain thought it was important that he always told the truth.

"Yes," Raephier answered, "I understand."

"Good lad," the Captain said, making Raephier feel warm inside.

"So, did your other Masters let you out of this cage?"

Raephier felt relief wash over him. He knew he could answer this question easily.

"Yes, some more than others. My first master kept me tied up in the hold, not in a cage. My second master kept me in a bigger cage than this one, but there was another Siren in there with me. He would let me out for a few hours each day. I've only been in this cage since I was traded on the main land where you bought me. I don't like this one. It's too small and my legs ache."