5. Never Waste Good Food

Jacob found himself strangely distracted throughout the day. At first, he thought it was just because of the many issues surrounding the weapon he'd bought, like how he would actually use the Siren when the time came, and how the magic actually worked. But as the day wore on, he realised that the most pressing thought in his mind was whether Raephier was alright. Was he lonely or scared? Had he eaten the lunch he'd got Pete to take in for him?

He resisted the urge to go and check on him, knowing that if he did find him distressed, he would struggle to leave him again. And he was currently needed to strategise with his crew on how they were going to make it home.

The setting of the sun couldn't come soon enough for Jacob, and instead of waiting for someone to bring him his food, he went down to the galley to seek it out himself.

He collected two plates of fish with boiled potatoes and was heading back to his cabin when he heard his name being called.

Jacob looked towards where the sound came from and saw Lyle walking over to him.

"I thought I better remind you," Lyle said, "that it's nearly been 24 hours so we'll need to take some more of that seaweed."

"Oh yes," Jacob replied, feeling slightly nervous that it had totally slipped his mind.

"Here, hold this," he said, handing one of the plates to Lyle.

Lyle took the plate which left Jacob's hand free to reach inside his jacket pocket and pull out the bag of Muntle seaweed.

"Take four, one for you, Pete, James and Marco. Tell them that they can either take it now, or wait until they need to be near Raephier.

"What if they forget to take it?" Lyle asked, while taking out the sprigs as ordered. "Surely it would be easier to just all take at the same time?"

Jacob shrugged. "To be honest I really don't think he means us any harm. I would say, just a few more days and we won't need to take it at all."

Lyle's eyebrows shot up.

"You can't do that! What if that's what he's waiting for, and as soon as we stop taking it, he uses his powers to escape?"

Jacob sighed.

"I really don't think he wants to escape. And we've not got enough seaweed to last the journey anyway, so we're going to have to trust him at some point."

Lyle clenched his jaw in irritation. There wasn't much he could argue though. He eventually let out a sigh of defeat.

"Just please, be careful," he said. "And we do still have plenty of the seaweed, so please don't stop taking it yet."

Jacob still believed that he was right and Lyle was being paranoid, but he could also appreciate that Lyle was just concerned for his Captain's wellbeing, as any good sailor should be.

"I promise I won't stop taking it without discussing it with you first," Jacob said.

Lyle's shoulders relaxed slightly.

"Ok, thank you," he said, before handing Jacob back the plate then turning and heading towards the galley.

Jacob shook his head gently, then headed back to his quarters. He found he felt a strange sort of anticipation in seeing Raephier again.

He unlocked the door and strode in, fully expecting to see Raephier sat on his chair, or lying on the blanket on the floor.

What he didn't expect was not to see him at all. He quickly set down the plates of food.