25. Love and Loss

Raephier was sure that he wouldn't sleep at all, but he didn't even remember anything other than climbing into the bed before he was jolted awake by an almighty crash.

He sat bolt upright, his heart hammering so loud he could hear it. In fact, that was all he could hear. That and a slight ringing noise in his ear.

The door for the cabin was flung open and Jacob came rushin in. His eyes were wide and his movements urgent, and he was speaking rapidly, but Raephier couldn't hear a word of it over the ringing in his ears.

Raephier shook his head and poked at his ears, then suddenly there was a loud whooshing noise, and he felt like his ears were going to burst. But then it was gone. Like the pressure was released and he could hear normally again.

"Raephier! Raephier! Are you ok?"

Raepheir turned to look at Jacob and could see the worry in his eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine. But what was that?" he asked.

"We've been hit. On the starboard side. Just below this cabin. Not enough damage to sink us though."

Raephier felt his eyes go wide.

"They're here? They've caught us?"

"Yes," Jacob said, nodding grimly.

It was only then that Raephier picked up the noises going on around him. He could hear the shouts of Jacob's men, and then there was another loud "boom".

"That's our canon," Jacob said quickly, before Raephier could fully panic.

"What can I do to help?" Raephier asked, quickly getting out of bed. He couldn't believe that he had been sleeping while all this had been going on.

"Nothing," Jacob said, putting his hands on Raephier's shoulders to stop him. "I need you to stay in here."

"What?" Raephier cried out. "There must be something I can do to help?"

"Yes, you need to trust me," Jacob said, staring intently into Raephier's eyes. "And I need you to stay in here."

Reaphier opened his mouth to argue, but then realised that by doing that he was admitting to not trusting Jacob's opinion.

"Ok," he said instead, battling his instincts that told him he needed to help.

"Good. I'm going to lock you in. I promise it's for your own safety. But if anything happens and you need to get out, you have my permission to break the window."

Raephier looked to his left where Jacob was pointing. There was a small circular window that looked out over the sea. It would be just large enough for him to be able to squeeze through if needed.

Raephier nodded, resigned to his fate.

"Ok, I better get back out there. As soon as it's safe I'll come and get you," Jacob said.

He then turned to leave, but Raephier raced over and reached out his hand, placing it on Jacob's arm.

Jacob turned, his eyebrows lifted.

Raephier stared at the position he found himself in. He didn't even consciously choose to move. His body had done it automatically.

"Be careful," he said, in almost a whisper.

Jacob's eyes softened and a small smile played at his lips.

"I'll be fine," he said reassuringly, but Raephier still clung to him, worried that this might be the last time he saw him.

Jacob chuckled and removed the hand off his arm, and then took hold of Raephier's face, with one hand on each cheek.

"I will come back for you," he said, and then he placed the tiniest of kisses on the tip of Raephier's nose before letting go and walking quickly out of the cabin.