21. Sing to Me

(Flashback)

Raephier sat on the ground in shock for several minutes after Persula had departed after telling him about the curse. He may have sat there all night if Jas hadn't suddenly appeared in front of him.

"Raephier?! Rae?! Oh thank fuck!" Jas said, putting his hands all over Raephier in a bid to reassure himself that Raephier was unharmed.

Usually Jas giving Raephier such close attention would result in funny flutterings in his stomach, but today it just made him feel claustrophobic and itchy.

"I'm fine!" Raephier snapped sharply before getting up and setting off back towards home.

Jas looked a little taken back by Raephier's tone, but followed alongside him. After a few moments of silence, Jas asked,

"What happened Rae?"

Raephier sighed. Honestly, he didn't feel like telling anyone what happened. He was still bitterly ashamed of what had happened with Khloe and was also slightly annoyed that Jas seemed to have gotten away with it again.

"She put a curse on me or something," Raephier grumbled. He knew it was pointless to lie about it. Afterall, whatever the curse did to him, it was likely to show itself sooner or later.

"Did she tell you anything about it?" Jas asked, looking slightly alarmed.

Raephier thought back to the witch's words, but they made even less sense now than they did at the time.

"Not really," he answered. "I know that it's got something to do with singing."

Jas looked confused.

"Singing? Well that's a stupid curse. Oh oh," he said, suddenly getting animated. "What if it means that you just randomly burst into song at like really inappropriate moments! Like during the King's speech, or when someone dies or something! So everyone's all quiet and somber, and you'll be like..." and then Jas burst out singing some inappropriate version of a kids nursery rhyme.

Despite Raephier's mood, he couldn't help but chuckle at Jas's attempt to cheer him up. It was times like these that reminded Raephier why he liked him so much. He never seemed to take life too seriously and would always make you laugh, no matter what mood you were in. His uplifting mood was contagious.

Jas continued to make up stupid things that the curse could be about all the way home, and by the time they were close, Raephier's cheeks were hurting from smiling and laughing so much.

"I better go and let my mum and dad know I'm alright," Raephier said, but before he could go, Jas gripped hold of his arm.

Raephier looked round at him and was surprised to see that all of the smiles and laughter had disappeared and Jas was looking at him with worry written clearly all over his face.

"Don't tell them anything," Jas said.

"Why not?" Raephier asked, rather confused by Jas's statement.

Jas seemed reluctant to say more, but eventually realised he would have to.

"Persula said something to me."

"What did she say?" Raephier asked quickly.

Jas glanced around, then moved closer to Raephier.

"She said that you were going to be banished."

Raephier reeled back in shock.

"Banished?! From where?!"

"From here," Jas said, looking stressed. "She said the King and Queen would send you away. I don't want that. I don't know what I'll do without you!" he said, and Raephier's heart felt like it doubled in size on hearing those words.