15. Weapons Don't Weep

Jacob couldn't remember a time in his life when he had been so distracted from the task at hand. He knew exactly what he had to do - buy essential supplies for their voyage home, but he found himself spending his time between either looking for gifts for Raephier or keeping an eye (and ear) out for Fingers.

It was noon and he had still not made a single purchase that he was supposed to. Oh, he'd made plenty of purchases alright, just nothing that he'd necessarily intended to buy. He looked down at the items he was carrying and shook his head.

He had some parchment and a quill and ink that he was intending to use to help teach Raephier how to write, and also some small woodworking tools that Raephier might be able to use to carve small ornaments. He'd also bought some new clothes. A pair of trousers and a new shirt. The clothes may have been for himself, but he knew that was only so he could give Raephier his current ones, so he didn't have to wear items that had holes in them anymore.

His hands were so full that he'd decided to drop off the items onto his ship. He hid the items he'd bought for Raephier in the chest at the foot of his bed so he could surprise him at a later time.

He'd walked back across the gangplank and onto the harbour wall when he heard his name being called.

"Jacob, Captain!"

He turned and saw Pete at the other end of the harbour waving at him frantically.

He didn't mind that he'd called him by his first name. Shouting 'Captain' at a port with about 50 ships in dock wouldn't get you very far.

Jacob made his way over to Pete, weaving his way through the crowds, making sure he didn't step on any merchandise that had been laid on the floor to sell.

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" Pete said with only a hint of annoyance. "We're ready to load, but we need to get your goods on first."

The building materials that Jacob was supposed to have bought, were by far the bulkiest item, so it made sense to load them first.

"Just give me 15 minutes and I'll have them ready for loading," Jacob said, hoping that by some miracle he wouldn't take too much longer than that.

He was thankful that at least he had done his job yesterday and so had narrowed down his options to just two traders.

One was busy, so he decided the other would have to do.

He ended up paying a slightly higher price than he would have liked, but beggars couldn't be choosers, so he coughed up the extra money, then arranged for the goods to be loaded onto his ship.

Only 20 minutes later than he said, the items were being lifted on board, so he left his men to sort out the rest.

It was way past lunchtime, but due to the large breakfast he'd eaten at the inn, Jacob still wasn't hungry, so he decided he'd drop in and check on Raephier.

As he walked up the stairs to his room, his brow furrowed at the sound of voices coming from inside. He put his ear to the door and was relieved to identify Sally's voice. He should have realised the nosy woman wouldn't have been able to stay away from his boy.

Although he knew Sally well and trusted her, Jacob was still uneasy at finding her in his room. A room that had been locked.

He opened the door swiftly and saw them both turn to him with wide eyes.

"Sally? Raephier? What's going on?" he asked.

Sally quickly stood up and fixed her smile on Jacob.

"Oh, I was just keeping your friend here company," she said. "Can I get you anything, Captain?"

"No thank you Sally," Jacob said firmly, and Sally quickly bustled her way out of the room.