26. A Fight to the Death

Pete watched from a distance as he saw the life drain out of Marco. As soon as Pete had seen the injury, he knew that he didn't stand a chance, but that hadn't stopped Lyle and Harry from trying, and Pete was grateful for that.

He always imagined that if he was lying there dying, he'd want someone to try to save him, even if it was pointless. It just meant that at least someone valued your life.

Pete took a final drag on his cigarette before flicking out to sea, his eyes moving off Marco to follow it. It somehow seemed disrespectful to stare at the dead.

Pete was feeling many emotions at that moment. He was devastated at the loss of his crew mate and friend, and he couldn't help but think how hard it was going to be to tell Marco's wife back home. He was also angry at the people who'd killed him. Angry at the Tredda and Pirates who constantly fought them when all they wanted to do was bring vital supplies to their loved ones. But for the first time since he stepped onto Jacob's ship, he was also feeling something else; a sense of unease about their future as a crew. It was an unsettling feeling and one Pete wished he could ignore.

Pete had known Jacob for as long as he could remember. They had grown up on the same street and played together as children. Even though Pete was a year older, and they'd been equals during their first few voyages as sailors, Pete never once felt resentful that Jacob ended up as Captain of his own ship. And he didn't have to think twice before accepting a position on his crew.

Jacob was a natural born leader, and the years Pete had spent under his Captaincy were by far the best he'd had at sea. Never once had he questioned one of his decisions. Until now.

He did understand his decision. He really did. And he'd not questioned it when he had told him that night that he wouldn't use Raephier as a weapon. But seeing one of the crew, and one of your best friends die in front of you, kind of altered your perspective.

Even before the second strike, the men had pleaded with Jacob to use the Siren, but he had stood firm with his decision. Many of the men had pleaded with Pete to try to get Jacob to change his mind, afterall he was his second in command and best friend. But Pete had refused, respecting Jacob's decision. He had felt so sure he was doing the right thing at the time, so why did he now have the irritation of guilt running through his veins.

Pete didn't even need to listen to the whispers to know that Jacob's integrity was now in question. The crew felt as though he'd put the needs and concerns of Raephier over the rest of the crew. And although Pete would never judge him for it, he kind of felt the same too.

A hand on his shoulder made Pete jump slightly.

"Come on," Lyle said, his usual scowl somehow even more prominent on his face. "We're going to send Marco off."

Pete nodded and headed over to the rear of the ship where Marco's body had been moved. All the crew gathered round, the mood somber and dark.

Marco's body had been wrapped in hessian cloth and tied to a large lump of stone to make sure his body sank to the bottom of the ocean. Although Pete was hoping to live a long life, he liked the idea of dying at sea. He much prefered the thought of his body being dropped to the bottom of the ocean rather than being buried in a mound of dirt somewhere on land.

Jacob stood at the front and said a few words about Marco, and then Lyle did the same. Whatever the two speaker's felt about each other was pushed to the back of their minds at the moment to pay respect to their fallen friend.

Pete didn't really pay much attention to what was said. He knew the words would be kind and respectful, but his head just wasn't in a kind or respectful place at that moment.