34. Never Enough

A/N Second of two updates today - it was too long so I had to split the chapter.

The sound was familiar but also different to the last time, Raephier noted. It still had the same ethereal quality and the same sweet mellow harmonies that had almost a breathy quality. Like they were made by the wind.

But this time the song seemed to have more urgency. The notes swirled around him almost like they were being caught up in a hurricane of energy. Considering how much more heightened Raephier's emotions were this time, he wasn't particularly surprised.

Within seconds of the song's first note, a sudden hush fell across the two ships. Even the air around them seemed to still.

Then slowly, almost like they were just waking up from a trance, the pirates started scanning the area around them, their eyes catching whoever was nearest as their hands went to draw their weapons. Then, with a roar, they charged.

Swords clashed, bodies collided then were hurled into the sides of the ship, grunts and cries of anger and then pain sliced through the air. The crack of a pistol snapped Raephier's attention back to Jacob, the song rising to a crescendo along with Raephier's heart beat.

The relief he felt when he saw that the pistol had been aimed elsewhere was mirrored in the swell of the song.

And then his eyes met those of Jacob.

Raephier didn't think he'd ever seen Jacob's eyes so wide before. He was staring at him in what could only be described as awe.

"Is that you?" Jacob asked. And even though he was still several feet away, somehow his voice carried to Raephier through the chaos as if he was talking directly into his ear.

"Yes," Raephier replied.

"It's absolutely beautiful," Jacob said, sounding a little out of breath.

The way he was looking at Raephier was making his heart ache. He looked at Raephier like he was the moon and the stars all rolled into one.

"Don't be sad," Jacob said, coming closer. "What you are doing is amazing. Listen Raephier!" he said, turning round with his arms out, like he could see and feel the notes dancing in the air. "That's you! That's all you!"

Raephier couldn't help the small smile at the pure joy on Jacob's face.

It was obvious that Jacob couldn't see what was going on around him. But Raephier could. From the corner of his eyes he saw the pirates start to fall. As much as he hated them, he couldn't find any part of him that was happy to see the blood and suffering that was going on around him. Jacob's men on the whole looked like they felt the same. The ear plugs were working well as they all just stood there, looking on at the pirates, with shock and sometimes horror on their faces. But then he saw something a little more disturbing. James must have had at least one of his ear pieces knocked out in his previous fight as he was currently locked in a ferocious sword fight with Jinx. He felt a sudden wave of panic, but then he saw Lyle dodging his way around the fighting pirates, heading James's way.

"Raephier," Jacob said, and Raephier startled when he turned back to see that Jacob was now standing right in front of him.

"Are you ok?" Jacob asked with a chuckle.

As much as Raephier loved to see this carefree and happy Jacob, it was hard to feel the same way.

"Yes, I just didn't expect you to be that close," Raephier said, taking a step back.

Jacob frowned, but the expression didn't last long, and then the smile was back.

"How can you look so sad when everything is so.....so perfect?" Jacob asked.