9. Trust Your Instincts

The first thing Jacob noticed when he woke up was Raephier's head on his chest. The next thing he noticed was that the rest of their bodies had also become entwined in the night.

Jacob didn't mind admitting to himself that it was a damn fine way to wake up. It had been far too long since he'd had the companionship of either a man or woman in his bed, and he'd be lying if he said he didn't miss it.

Jacob twisted his body slightly to make sure that he wasn't poking Raephier with something that would be considered inappropriate.

The sun was yet to rise, but Jacob knew it was time to get up. He'd always had a very good internal clock and could trust his body to wake up when it needed to. He would have let his men have a lie-in, but since seeing Fingers, Jacob had felt restless. He wanted to leave port before sunrise, just in case.

Jacob looked down on the boy sleeping in his arms. When he'd first seen him, he'd felt very protective over him, kind of like an older brother would. But since Raephier had revealed his true form, Jacob had started to feel the stirrings of other feelings. Feelings he'd rather bury at the moment.

He soaked in the feeling for just another minute longer, before he untangled his body from Raephier's and slid out of the bed. There was a washroom down the hall, and so Jacob snuck out to freshen up before coming back and rousing Raephier.

"Come on, we need to go," he said, patting Raephier gently on the head, just for another excuse to run his fingers through his hair again.

Raephier raised his head and took in his surroundings. When his eyes met Jacobs, he gave a soft smile.

"We'll get breakfast on the ship," Jacob said. "Come on, I'll show you where the washroom is."

It wouldn't have been difficult to give Raephier directions to the washroom, but he didn't want him out of his sight. It wasn't because he didn't trust him. It was because he didn't trust Fingers.

He let Raephier have some privacy once they were there, but Jacob stood like a sentry guard outside the door.

As soon as Raephier emerged, he grabbed hold of his hand and led him downstairs. Jacob couldn't shake the jittery feeling that he had, knowing that Fingers could be anywhere. He just wanted to get Raephier back onto his ship as soon as possible.

He paid his bill, then headed outside towards the harbour.

He breathed a sigh of relief when they stepped onto his beloved ship.

Pete was waiting for him on board. He raised an eyebrow at Jacob when he saw his hand gripping Raephier's tightly.

"Everything alright Captain?" Pete asked.

"I'll fill you in later," Jacob said, looking round the ship, pleased to see that his men were preparing for departure. "Is everyone on board?"

"They are now," came a voice from behind, and Jacob turned to see Marco dragging John and Harry, two of the younger members of the crew, onto the ship. Both looked worse for wear.

Jacob nodded at Marco, trusting that he would deal with the two lads appropriately.

"Can you arrange for some breakfast to be sent to my cabin for Raephier," Jacob ordered Pete. "I'll eat mine in the navigation room."

Pete nodded, and Jacob led Raephier over to his quarters.

It wasn't until they were shut inside that Jacob turned to look at Raephier. Jacob studied his face and couldn't help but worry at how tired he looked.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Jacob asked him. "I'm sorry, I should have asked sooner."

Raephier gave him a small smile.