22. The Song's End

A/N:  Just remember that you asked for this!!!  

Strong arms squeezing his body brought Raephier back to the present. It was only then that he realised he was shuddering as sobs wracked his body. Rather worryingly he also felt his whole body tingle in a very familiar way. He knew he needed to calm down, and quickly.

"Shhhh, it's ok, it's all over now," Jacob said soothingly, as he stroked Raephier's hair.

Jacob's calming voice worked and the tingles subsided, yet Raephier only sobbed harder in the knowledge that it wasn't over. It would never be over.

Jacob just held him, offering soothing words every now and again, and Raephier was thankful that for once he didn't have to pretend he was ok.

When Raephier's tears had slowed and his breathing was under control again, Jacob said,

"You don't need to tell me anymore if you don't want. I understand if it is too painful."

"No," Raephier replied immediately, shocking Jacob and even himself with the resolve in his voice. "I need to go on. I've never told this to anyone and I think it's just something I have to do."

"Ok then," Jacob said, resuming his stroking. "You can tell me anything. We've got all night if you want."

Raephier nodded slightly, then took some deep calming breaths, readying himself for the rest of the story.

(Flashback Continued)

The song just seemed to flow out of Raephier's body. It was a beautiful sound. Almost too perfect to be made from a living creature. He wasn't sure at all how he was doing it, but he knew that all his emotions were now flowing out of him in this song.

He looked across at Jas to see his reaction.

Jas's eyes were wider than Raephier had ever seen them, and he had the biggest smile on his face, making Raephier smile right back.

"I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" Raephier said, noticing that talking didn't interrupt the flow of the song at all.

"It's beautiful!" Jas said with a breathy sigh.

Raepheir was about to agree but Jas continued.

"And you're beautiful too," he said.

Raephier squirmed, rather embarrassed by the compliment, but then he noticed that underneath all that tingly energy that was humming round his body, he felt different. Something felt......kinda off.

"I'm handsome, not beautiful!" he replied, trying to keep his tone light and teasing.

Jas smiled, and Raephier felt his legs threaten to buckle.

"Are you saying I don't know what beautiful is? Me? The Prince? Who has been introduced to countless Princesses who have been described as the fairest in the land?"

All the time he was talking, Jas was creeping slowly forward towards Raephier, his eyes never leaving his. It sent all the nerves in Raephier's body into overdrive. He felt like he was being stalked. Jas was looking at him like he was ready to devour him. Jas had never looked at him like that before and Raephier was beginning to realise that he might never recover from this experience.

"I-I'm thinking that y-you don't know yourself right now," Raephier said, moving slowly backwards.

Jas stopped immediately and pouted at Raephier, a look that left Raephier trembling in anticipation. He'd seen that look on Jas before. He'd used it on him before to get his own way. But never with this intensity. Never while flirting.