Bonfire night

Third Person POV:

It was almost sundown and the gang were getting ready to head down to Hagrid's hut. Lily had been allowed to get changed in the girls dormiotory in the Gryffindor common room to reduce suspision on her leaving after curfew, Scorpius had also been allowed to change in the boys dorms for the same reason. Lily was wearing the clothes she'd arrived in: her red initialled jumper, her black jeans and her black combat boots - all washed and sent to her at Hogwarts by Molly. Lily was still worried about going back home. Would her father still be angry at her? Would he still be insistent on her learning her patronus before christmas ends? All these questions still circled round her head until she was overcome with anxiety. 

Her breathing started to falter, her hands started to shake and tears started falling from her eyes. She was resting against the end of a four poster bed in the dorm room, when Hermionie and Ginny came in.

"Oh my- Lily what's happened?" Hermionie gasped.

Lily tried to speak but the words wouldn't come. She was struggling to breathe and was hyperventilating. In that second it was like Ginny understood her without any words having been exchanged.

"Hermionie, go and get her some water, I'll watch her here." Hermionie nodded and ran from the room. "Lily, hey, it's okay. It's all going to be fine." Ginny's words were soothing as she sat down and pulled Lily into a hug. "It's okay take some deep breaths. I'm right here. Lily." Her voice calmed Lily enough so that she stopped hyperventilating and shaking but the tears kept falling and she just cried into Ginny's shoulder. 

"I'm sorry Ginny." she said sniffling and breathing deeply to calm down.

"Lily, I may not know you all that well, but you are my daughter." She looked very serious "Which by the way still sounds weird to say" she added laughing softly. Lily couldn't help but laugh too. This was how her mother always helped her: address the situation, then make a joke. It seems her mother had been doing that her whole life, not just with Lily. Then she thought to herself 'This is what my mother does. She brings joy and laughter to everyone around her.' 

"I know I may not be your actual mother but I am still ready to listen if you wanted to talk to someone about whatever it is that's bothering you" she said stroking Lily's hair. Lily hesitated then started

"I'm worried about going home. Going back to my parents. To my dad..."

"What? Why are you worried about going back to Harry?"

"He's always so caught up in our safety that he forgets sometimes"

"Forgets what?"

"To be my dad, not my bodyguard"

"You know that sounds a lot like Harry. You know even now Harry doesn't realise sometimes that he doesn't have to protect everyone, that some of us can protect ourselves. I mean don't get me wrong it does help sometimes" she chuckled "but he forgets to look out for himself and focuses on everyone around him, I'm assuming that's what he still does with you kids..." 

"Yeah sometimes, I think, I don't know... It was different when we were younger but now we're older it's like he thinks all the bad stuff is gonna happen again, like Voldermort will come back or something but it won't happen and he can't accept that we are so much safer than he was" Lily rambled on for another 5 minutes, basically repeating herself over and over again, before Lily had managed to calm her down and talk some sense into her

"Lily, your dad is not going to stop loving you any less than he already does, you just need to go home, and be the very best you can be. And don't ever forget whether I look like it or not, whether I say I am or not, I am always in your corner." Ginny had finished. Lily hugged Ginny tight and they had both stood up ready to leave, as the door flew open.