Chapter Thirty - Six

I fell asleep, curled up on the bed with the letter in my hand. I didn't hear Selene enter with my dinner and she quickly left again leaving me to slip even deeper into my dreams.

"Elora, come quickly!" My father's voice sent tremors through my tiny body. My hands clasped tighter on the doll.

"Come look." His hand rested on my shoulder, guiding me to the wooden telescope much higher than me. He lifted me onto the box so my eyes could finally see through it.

"Watch it carefully," he was excited, almost ecstatic.

"Father, I don't see anything," I said, concentrating on watching the burning dots in front of me.

"Patience girl," he said sternly. "Just give it a moment."

Then it happened. A burning star fell from its throne, leaving behind a scorching trail full of bright light.

"A shooting star!" I erupted in glee.

"Yes, you see it." Edmund's face lit up as I turned to watch him. But his smile vanished the moment he looked down into my eyes.

"Hard to believe such beauty ends up burning as it dies. If such a thing hit our earth, it would destroy everything. It would scorch our lands and burn us to death. This is beauty that deceives the eye. Even if it looks harmless it can bring great death." His eyes had been full of warning. "You, my child, can either bring beauty or great death." He turned away, leaving me behind in the shadow-filled room.

I woke suddenly before the sun. The vision of my father made my stomach turn. He had given me a warning then. One that I couldn't understand. But I did now. I could become the greatest thing that happened to the kingdom, or I could become a weapon.

I slipped into a warm bath and afterwards, into a dress painted in a subtle yellow. The sleeves rested like flower petals on my shoulders. This one was also light, all my dresses were. The light fabric was meant for the rich.

Starving, I hurried down the corridor and many stairs, continuing, until I found the kitchen. Thinking it wouldn't be occupied this early I headed inside but to my surprise I found a kitchen maid, preparing breakfast.

"Oh, hello." I quickly said, almost curtseying.

The lady noticed and snorted under her breath while continuing to knead her dough.

"I'm sorry, I thought it would be empty-,"

"Are you hungry, my child?" She interrupted.

I sighed and smiled at the refreshing way she addressed me. All the formalities had my head spinning.

"Starving," I admitted.

"Well, why don't you take a seat right there child and I'll have the buns out of the oven in a second for you." She turned, slim as a stick, and grabbed for the oven spatula, poking it inside a steaming stone oven.

I sat where she directed me, on a small wooden stool at the corner of the table she was kneading on.

"So, tell me, how are you coping with it all?" She said as she was picking at the buns, with her back turned. I was surprised she asked, but I imagined gossip ran fast around here.

"Fine." I lied.

Her head turned, with a doubtful face.

"It's crushing," I admitted after her honey-brown eyes had gouged into mine.

She nodded in agreement, "That's what I thought."

Her green dress, though covered with white fabric to avoid stains, was covered in flowers. Her coarse ginger hair was held back by a folded scarf, wrapped around her head.

"You came from down south right? A farming town?" She dug her hands back into her dough.

I nodded.

"Down there is supposed to be tough I hear. Not many travellers come." She stated.

"Only people from neighbouring towns visit once in a while," I explained, feeling the awkward tension rise, and I started regretting I came.

"But you made it all the way here," she said, salted with suspicion.

"Not alone," I replied, not sure what she wanted to hear.

"Yes, by the grace of the good lord's daughter." There was some malice in her voice if only just for a second.

"And a Mile man," I added.

Her eyes shot up.

"You were in the hands of a Mile man?" She was so surprised she forgot to knead her dough.

I nodded again, wondering if the rumour of them had scared her or if she had ever had a personal encounter.

"He let you live?"

"He wasn't hired to hurt me."

"You count yourself lucky you lived. Going through the territories and escaping that man is a miracle. They are bloodthirsty killers, those. "

"You know their reputation?"

"Well, I'm not a fool. Of course, I do. Every living person does. They hunt you and manipulate you so you won't escape. They make you think you are everything to them and that you can turn their darkness. Then when they know they have you, their silvery knives slash your throat open. They are an abomination." Her words were personal, originating from deep-rooted pain.

I said nothing as she continued her work. Her tone had become distressed. She returned to the oven, pulling out the buns. They surfaced in glazed brown.

"I will wrap two for you." She did and handed them to me, "Nice to meet you, my lady." She finally said, returning to her table.

I gave her a strained smile before heading back up the stairs, feeling uneasy about our conversation.

I quickly forgot all about it as Selene spotted me and sprinted towards me.

"My lady!" She exclaimed out of breath, "I've been searching for you."

I began picking at one of the buns, the taste was so fluffy and full of vanilla.

"You dressed?" She asked, surprised, and studied me.

"Well, it has worked for me so far." I smiled.

"Forgive me, my lady, I just meant you found a dress yourself."

I smiled at her cuteness, "Yes I hope you don't mind. It was in one of the dressers."

"Your hair my lady. Do you want me to put it up for you?" She said, looking at my loose hair.

"I like it like this today," I assured.

"Very well and I'll make sure to wake earlier than yourself so you don't have to pick out your dresses from now on."

"Truly Selene, I do not mind. " I tried looking as pleased as possible. She was clearly stressed that I had done everything by myself.

"No need to worry, I like doing it myself," I added watching her face change with confusion. I suddenly felt as if I just offended her, "But I will let you style my hair from now on." Her face lit up again and she shot me a smile.

"I almost forgot my lady, lord Sarvin needs you to join him in his study."